Brix not as reported, what would you do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@4Score and I have been tracking our big Cab Sauv harvest for weeks. Finally, we get the green light from the vineyard; we are at 25.5. Perfect I say, we set the day for Friday.

Fruit looks excellent, but initial brix readings off the destemmer are coming in 22-23 :slp

After overnight soaking, with a precision hydrometer, it settles at 23.5, 3.5 pH We are talking 2 tons of fruit, $4,000 worth of juice. Sure, not the end of the world, and sure, you can make good wine at this brix, but it's not what we wanted and not what we were told we would get.

The vineyard is a commercial vineyard, does around 80 tons per year. I contacted the vineyard and let him know what is going on.

Besides having this conversation, what else would you do?

It all depends on supply and demand. If he has the demand he doesn't care about you. Your complaints will go unanswered and if you keep complaining at some point he will just shut you off next year if he has someone else he can replace you with. Step lightly but let him know what you got is not what he said you were going to get. I have been in your same situation. Did not end well for me. LOL

@4Score and I have been tracking our big Cab Sauv harvest for weeks. Finally, we get the green light from the vineyard; we are at 25.5. Perfect I say, we set the day for Friday.

Fruit looks excellent, but initial brix readings off the destemmer are coming in 22-23 :slp

After overnight soaking, with a precision hydrometer, it settles at 23.5, 3.5 pH We are talking 2 tons of fruit, $4,000 worth of juice. Sure, not the end of the world, and sure, you can make good wine at this brix, but it's not what we wanted and not what we were told we would get.

The vineyard is a commercial vineyard, does around 80 tons per year. I contacted the vineyard and let him know what is going on.

Since I'm a home winemaker, I have no horses in this but will ask a question, did he test one grape, a few, or a Mashup like you did? I just picked 203 lbs of Nobel muscadines and there was as much as a 6 brix difference between individual pieces. So I agree, I'd bring it up and maybe ask his procedure for testing,

At 2 tons, you're 2.5% of his yield. Yes, it is a lot of money for you, but a very small piece of his business. As has been said, I think you want to mention it, but tread lightly. Unless, of course, you have other sources. Have you dealt with this grower in the past, and if so, what has your experience been?

Do the grapes appear and taste ripe? I have also heard about significant harvest variation between particular rows or blocks. An overall vineyard sample may indicate higher brix than the rows that went into your bins. Let him know, but you have to be positive and assume this will be the best cab yet.

Sample error. It happens.

You have mentioned you manage a community vineyard. How different are your samples from actual crush? If they differer less, ask this grower if you can come and take your own samples. Then the responsibility is yours and you remove him from sources of error you can not control. ;)

My guess is that it was an error and not intentional. I think you did what you could, let them know of the descrepency and ask how it happened. Maybe they will make it up to you next time.

Thanks for the replies. I believe it was a sampling error; the sample of berries chosen for measuring was not a representative sample of what was in the bin. First time using them. Seeds were brown, pulp pulled away from the skins, but there were no clusters that showed any dimpling, showing signs of dehydration.

@balatonwine, this is what I'll do; most all winemakers will come out and check the fruit themselves. I had one problem this year where we picked two wineries, one was spot on, the other 2 brix different. I went to the winery and confirmed their number, although with their equipment.

this is probably a silly question but why wouldn't you add sugar to the lower brix grapes? I may face the same thing with about 100 lbs of my own grapes and wondered if there were negatives to the sugar I hadn't considered, besides the overall scale/volume of grapes you have.
Mike

Wow! Cab already? I do not believe mine will be picked for a couple weeks yet. 13% not a bad Cab but could always balance out to your likings before fermenting.

this is probably a silly question but why wouldn't you add sugar to the lower brix grapes? I may face the same thing with about 100 lbs of my own grapes and wondered if there were negatives to the sugar I hadn't considered, besides the overall scale/volume of grapes you have.
Mike

For me, it's about the flavor and the depth of the wine vs. the abv. Not sure adding sugar would help with the flavor.

But isn't that basically what Mother Nature does if given a bit more time?

Plenty of flavor in all those skins, seeds and naturally occurring polyphenols within the grape.

For me, it's about the flavor and the depth of the wine vs. the abv. Not sure adding sugar would help with the flavor.

But isn't that basically what Mother Nature does if given a bit more time?

Plenty of flavor in all those skins, seeds and naturally occurring polyphenols within the grape.

I think the flavors also continue to develop as the sugar accumulates and additional flavors are achieved when the grapes dehydrate some. I don't think it is just about the sugar.

I did a vertical with a bunch of people. I had a 2013, 2014 and a 2016 Cabernet Franc that I had made. The 23.5 brix bottle was noticeably lighter in flavor and color. Not better or worse, just different.

So going forward - next season - how do you keep the same from happening?

So going forward - next season - how do you keep the same from happening?

By not being lazy and going to the vineyard and take my own measurements, which I could have done.

My plan is to do petite sirah next year. I have easy access to the grapes, so I'll be doing my own measurements. The sample may not be exact, but the only person I can blame is myself.

We picked up our "bonus bin". It came in at 27 brix and areletting it fly without adjustment. We all went in on a new barrrel, so this will be one big, oaky Cab that we can use for blending with our not so big main barrel.

It will be interesting to see the difference in a 23.5 vs. a 27.0 wine, from the same vineyard.

Back