Brix and juice concentrates question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
If I have 1 gallon of juice concentrate that is at Brix 68, and I dilute it with 2 gallons of water, do I get 3 gallons of a solution that has Brix more or less 23? Is my logic correct or there is something else to it?

I don't think so. I used two different on-line calculators:

1) FermCalc JS - they have an app you can download, put in your numbers and got the following results:
Resulting Brix - 27.264 and resulting volume of 2.99 (might as well be 3 gallons)

2) Water dilution
for this one you have to do things a little bit differently: I said 1 gallon at 68 Brix and you want a result of 23 brix. So it says to add 2.64 gallons

Thank you. I was not aware of the calculator. I will try my hand on Coloma juices and they advertise as Brix 68, at least apple. But this is totally different thread

Thank you. I was not aware of the calculator. I will try my hand on Coloma juices and they advertise as Brix 68, at least apple. But this is totally different thread
IIRC, not all Coloma concentrates are the same brix. Check what the package claims, and base your calculation on that.

When diluting, add about 3/4 the indicated water, stir very well. Then stir again. Add the remaining water in smaller increments, stirring well in between additions, and checking SG. I've proven (to myself, if no one else) that concentrates don't easily dilute evenly, so I recommend going lightly, as it's far easier to add more water.

Thanks for the tip. I will be making apple wine tomorrow but I need to start at 6 gallon so I will be adding pure apple juice I make myself. This is the first time I’m using this type of concentrate so I’m very excited.

I don't think so. I used two different on-line calculators:

1) FermCalc JS - they have an app you can download, put in your numbers and got the following results:
Resulting Brix - 27.264 and resulting volume of 2.99 (might as well be 3 gallons)

2) Water dilution
for this one you have to do things a little bit differently: I said 1 gallon at 68 Brix and you want a result of 23 brix. So it says to add 2.64 gallons
@cmason1957, @Ericphotoart Last week I diluted two quarts of aronia concentrate (Brix 65) to 7 quarts per the Coloma Frozen Food website. I had to add 13.4 oz of sugar to get a Brix of 22. I worked out several ways but fell back to what I just wrote because at each step I was sure of the result. I wound up with 2.25 gallon. Got extra for top-up now.

So I started my apple wine. I used 1.5 gallon Coloma apple concentrate (imported) (Brix 68). After adding 2.5 gallon of water I was at Brix 32.3 (Sg 1.140). So the calculator was off by about 16oz of water but still pretty close. I used also my own fresh apple juice that was at 1.040. No problem with diluting the concentrate. I was expecting much lower pH. I added all together about 3 gallons of water and pH was 3.9 without adding acid blend. I went down to 3.6 and I run out of acid blend.

I'm thinking about adding a little of citric acid (green bottle). I need to buy it today.

Last edited:
So I started my apple wine. I used 1.5 gallon Coloma apple concentrate (imported) (Brix 68). After adding 2.5 gallon of water I was at Brix 32.3 (Sg 1.140). So the calculator was off by about 16oz of water but still pretty close. I used also my own fresh apple juice that was at 1.040. No problem with diluting the concentrate. I was expecting much lower pH. I added all together about 3 gallons of water and pH was 3.9 without adding acid blend. I went down to 3.6 and I run out of acid blend.

I'm thinking about adding a little of citric acid (green bottle). I need to buy it today.
Yeah, current wisdom is to adjust acid at the beginning if possible.
I buy citric acid in 5 lb bags, cheap that way. Use it around the house and also I prefer it over acid blend in some wines. And in that quantity I'll always have some.

You ran out of a wine making ingredient??!! Might have to report you to the principal. :D

Latest posts

Back