Brita water Filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbryda203

Reaction score
I had asked another question in a different thread. Some one had mentioned a Brita water filter, would that work to filter wine? Better then nothing right?

Yeah, do not do that. You can get a Vinbrite gravity filter which is as cheap as they come and do work. They take about 45 minutes to do 6 gallons but without some kind of pump its snag your limited to.

I believe he was trying to help you get rid of an unwanted flavor. It was just a suggestion to try and help resolve your problem. Arne.

I actually did that a number of year ago and I agree. The wine came out tasing like water and just a clear!

Turning perfectly good wine into water. What a waste. Maybe Mtbryda should only try filtering a little of his wine,try it and see if it helps. Arne.

Last edited:
Arne said:
Turning perfectly good wine into water. What a waste. Maybe Mtbryda should only try filtering a little of his wine,try it and see if it helps. Arne.

Agreed. The OP has possible Mercaptans in his wine giving off a "burnt rubber" smell.
I originally recommended Norit D-10 but suggested testing some through a Britta filter after acid treatment to verify it was Mertaptans.
I also recommended the whole house filter if he's going to do more wine.

I would first check to see if copper will fix the problem. It may still be H2S and not mercaptans.

They really should have a vinmetrica testing system for iPhone since we can't taste or smell a persons wine over the Internet....... yet.

Agreed. The OP's wine may include Mercaptans, which emit a "burnt rubber" odour.
I first advised Norit D-10, but after acid treatment, I suggested passing some through a Britta filter to ensure it was Mertaptans.
If he's going to make additional wine, I also suggested the complete home filtration.

Agreed. The OP's wine may include Mercaptans, which have a distinct odour similar to "burnt rubber."
Initially, I offered Norit D-10, but after treating it with acid, I suggested putting it through a Britta filter to be sure it was Mertaptans.
I also recommended the
whole home filtration if he plans on making more wine.

Last edited:
Agreed. The OP's wine may include Mercaptans, which have a distinct odour similar to "burnt rubber."
Initially, I offered Norit D-10, but after treating it with acid, I suggested putting it through a Britta filter to be sure it was Mertaptans.
I also recommended the
whole home filtration if he plans on making more wine.
That's Good

Back