Brita water Filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

mtbryda203

Reaction score
I had asked another question in a different thread. Some one had mentioned a Brita water filter, would that work to filter wine? Better then nothing right?

GreginND

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, do not use a Brita filter. The filter cartridges use carbon filters. That will strip your wine of flavors and tannins.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Greg is fight, do not use any filter that contains carbon.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Yeah, do not do that. You can get a Vinbrite gravity filter which is as cheap as they come and do work. They take about 45 minutes to do 6 gallons but without some kind of pump its snag your limited to.

Arne

Reaction score
I believe he was trying to help you get rid of an unwanted flavor. It was just a suggestion to try and help resolve your problem. Arne.

JohnT

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I actually did that a number of year ago and I agree. The wine came out tasing like water and just a clear!

Arne

Reaction score
I actually did that a number of year ago and I agree. The wine came out tasing like water and just a clear!
Turning perfectly good wine into water. What a waste. Maybe Mtbryda should only try filtering a little of his wine,try it and see if it helps. Arne.

Last edited:

jimmyjames23

Reaction score
Arne said:
Turning perfectly good wine into water. What a waste. Maybe Mtbryda should only try filtering a little of his wine,try it and see if it helps. Arne.
Agreed. The OP has possible Mercaptans in his wine giving off a "burnt rubber" smell.
I originally recommended Norit D-10 but suggested testing some through a Britta filter after acid treatment to verify it was Mertaptans.
I also recommended the whole house filter if he's going to do more wine.

GreginND

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would first check to see if copper will fix the problem. It may still be H2S and not mercaptans.

jimmyjames23

Reaction score
They really should have a vinmetrica testing system for iPhone since we can't taste or smell a persons wine over the Internet....... yet.

Reaction score
Agreed. The OP's wine may include Mercaptans, which emit a "burnt rubber" odour.
I first advised Norit D-10, but after acid treatment, I suggested passing some through a Britta filter to ensure it was Mertaptans.
If he's going to make additional wine, I also suggested the complete home filtration.

Reaction score
Agreed. The OP's wine may include Mercaptans, which have a distinct odour similar to "burnt rubber."
Initially, I offered Norit D-10, but after treating it with acid, I suggested putting it through a Britta filter to be sure it was Mertaptans.
I also recommended the
whole home filtration if he plans on making more wine.

Last edited:

Latest posts