brewing beer equipment ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa b

Easy does it
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I want to try to make beer from a kit ( never made beer before ) Talked to LHBS and the said not to use aluminum pot for boiling,should be stainless steel. I've got a turkey fryer 8 gallons and all the equip from wine, I didn't want to spend $ 80.00 on a 7 gallons stainless steel pot , till i know for sure if i want to do this for long time
Sooooooooo what is your expert opinion :a1

Don't mix your wine and beer gear. Well the plastic stuff anyway.
I'm in the middle of making my first beer. Took a taste after first racking and yum!
Stainless is the way to go.

That Aluminum/SS is bull. It used to be a theory that aluminum pots gave people Alzheimer's but that has been debunked! You will want to passivize your aluminum if you havent already by oiling water for about an our before using it to boil beer in it, this oxidizes the aluminum. Passivation is the spontaneous formation of a hard non-reactive surface film that inhibits further corrosion. This layer is usually an oxide or nitride that is a few molecules thick. Do not scrub this off but gently wash the pot after use. If you have ever used this pot for oil youd better do a really good job of scrubbing this cause that oil can kill your head retention in beer. SS is better IMO but Ive used the turkey fryer before a few times and it worked fine.

thank you guys
Yes i have fried a few turkey with it
what do you recomended clean it with? B brite, or something else ?
Thank You
Papa b

I've only made a few beer kits and no boiling was involved so I'm curious what kind of kit you will be getting. Is it a typical Coopers/Morgans/Muntons type can or a box kit ( must in a bag) or something else?

It is probably a Brewers Best or True Brew or 1 very similiar to that designed by the brew shop them selves which are typically a little bit better but those kits are pretty darn good and way better then a noil boil beer IMO! The more grains you use the better the beer is IMO and most others opinions also. The partial mash kits are an gateway drug to going all grain but they are much easier and dont require the equipment like doing an all grain beer does although you can make all grain with very little equipment also, basically just like an 8 gallon pot if you want to do the grain in the bag way but you can get crazy also with a brew sculpture like I have or Smurfes set up which is the extreme! That thing is pure bling bling and just beautifullllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes it is a brewers best what I'm getting, weizenbier to be exact (i think spell that way)I like Heff kind of beer so let see what happens

Wade, you are probably right , I can see myself going overboard already :D

The "C" or "B" Brite will be just fine but remeber after using it dont scrub it down or youll have to passivaye it again.

Here is my set up.
My E-Keggle which is electric with a 220 3500 hot water heating element. Below that is my Hot water Tun which heats up sparge water to an accurate temp with thermostatic control and 1500 watt hot water heater in there built myself from a Coleman Wheelie Cooler. and below that is my Mash tun which holds all the grains for about an hour at a very stable temp for an hour and has a slotted manifold to filter the grains and all that is mounted on a brew sculpture I also built from a couple of sliding table saw fences from a saw that was being thrown out at work.

Keggle.jpg

HLT10.jpg

HLT11.jpg

Manifold.jpg

MLT.jpg

As you can see in that last picture I use to use a turkey fryer with the aluminum pot but now that is obsolete in my system.

Brew sculpture (Medium).jpg

Wade,
wow that setup is impressive, even more that you made all the stuff yourself , that explain what you meant by going bling bling , BTW thanks for sharing your equipment pictures and knowledge, it may not be a big deal to you, but it means a lot to me, you're going out of your way to help people to learn a wine or beer hobby that obviously you've mastered
Thanks Papa B :br

Last edited:
Good luck with your beer batch, Papa B! If you already like making wine and you like drinking beer... you'll definitely continue homebrewing. :D

Wade covered the aluminum pot subject thoroughly, so I've got nothing to add there. I just thought I'd let you know that I started with an aluminum pot from a turkey fry kit and it worked great for many batches. I now have stainless kettles in various sizes, but I had no issues with my aluminum one.

Nice setup, Wade. One day I'll grow up to have a brewing stand like you. Right now, I just have a bunch of 8x8x16 blocks that I put together to give me tiers. It works, but doesn't look nearly as cool as your setup.

Paba, if you search through the beer forum here you will find that I pretty much did a thread on exactly how to do all this. Its fairly easy to do all this stuff if you are a little but handy. I am by far no master believe me! Still hve a lot to learn.

Latest posts

Back