brewer coming over from Buffalo, NY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalobrewer

Junior
Reaction score
I've been brewing for many years and decided it was time to try my hand at winemaking (I do have Edwort's (from those that have ventured over to HBT) apfelwine in secondary). I picked up a winexpert selection series gewurztraminer kit at the brewshop and have been studying up. It looks pretty easy making wine from the kit.

One thing i've been wondering is what is the most cost effective degassing method?

Hello and welcome to the forum Buffalobrewer,

most cost effective for me.. is to stir it daily for a few days.

Allie

Hi and welcome.
I guess the most cost effective is a long sanitized spoon but most people use a drill attachment.

Welcome, I think the most cost effective would be a stainless Fizz X for your cordless drill. You will be using it for mixing and degassing.

Last edited:
If you have forarms of steel then a spon will work but most will tell you(including me) that the drill mounted Fizz X is the best tool for this. I use this but also follow thios with an electric vacuum pump but also use that pump to rack my wine and bottle my wine so its actually very cost effective as I have a bad back. I can also filter with this if I wanted to.

If you have forarms of steel then a spon will work but most will tell you(including me) that the drill mounted Fizz X is the best tool for this. I use this but also follow thios with an electric vacuum pump but also use that pump to rack my wine and bottle my wine so its actually very cost effective as I have a bad back. I can also filter with this if I wanted to.

I must be one of the last spoon fans left! Lol.

I've been brewing for many years and decided it was time to try my hand at winemaking (I do have Edwort's (from those that have ventured over to HBT) apfelwine in secondary). I picked up a winexpert selection series gewurztraminer kit at the brewshop and have been studying up. It looks pretty easy making wine from the kit.

One thing i've been wondering is what is the most cost effective degassing method?

Welcome fellow NY'er! I recently bought a brake bleeder at harbor freight and it made life a whole lot easier degassing. I hit it first with my drill attachment and then hook up the bleeder via a vacuum elbow (reducer) into a bung.. Works awesome!

Looks like i need to get one of the fizz x degassers and look into the vacuum thing.

More Toys! and I still need to finish building the electric brewery...

Welcome aboard! I used a spoon for my first batch. That was a ton of stirring. After that, I bought a drill mounted mix-stir and it works wonders. Get the stainless one.
I'm debating starting my American Cream Ale kit today as my first foray into brewing.
If you search the forum, wade has a pretty impressive electric brewing setup he's built.

Welcome, I'm in Fl. now but originally from about 70 miles south of Buffalo. When I was a kid I picked grapes at a welches grape field in Westfield N.Y. Small world, I think u'll like the forum. I don't miss the snow no more.

Latest posts

Back