Brew Belt?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to start my first batch ever tomorrow morning, and I am a little aprehensive.

My work space will be down in the sunken basement, where it is probably in the 16-17C (61-63F) range at this time of the year. I notice, however, from the instructions (Cellar Craft kit) that I should be maintaining the temperature at 19-24C (66-75F). Should I be going out and buying a brew belt tonight?

Thanks!

If you can't use somewhere warmer... then, it would be a really good idea!

It's best to be aorund 70, 60 is probably too low, you will need to do something to increase the temp of the must.

What are you making? Use the brew belt to get your fermentation started and then you should be ok. You'll want to use it again after stabilizing to help degas/clear your wine

Being where you are from I say buy a brew belt. You will be using it sooner than U may think.

I have done 2 CC (there supreme ones?) white kits (one red) and they will ferment in that temp area. In fact the Reisling/Gewurt one I did was awesome and fermented at about 62 degrees...it took about 2 weeks. If you can get it started somewhere warmer or at least get a good yeast starter going that may make really good wine. I know reds can be done cooler also but I have never tried and I think they would be more fruity and less tanic then (so warmer better for my taste). Otherwise just getting the bucket off the floor and using a run-of-the-mill heating blanket or pad wrapped around the carboy would be more then fine I think, if you want something more multi-purpose then the brew belts.

You can always buy an aquarium submersable heater for $20.00. They will handle up to 30 gallon aquariums without a problem so a six gallon bucket is a breeze.

You can even adjust the temperature if you like and like a brew belt you will use it alot over time. Downfall I doubt this would fit in a carboy after racking if you do not ferment dry in a bucket.

Some things to help you out.

Get the primary off the floor. Even if it's on a few 2 by 4's. Heat rises and a concrete floor will suck the heat out of it.

Wrap a blanket around the primary. Yeast generate heat so help to keep it as long as possible.

Take a utility light and swap out the bulb for a 25 or 30 watt bulb. Place it a few inches away from the bucket and if you like throw a piece of cardboard above it or a blanket to help hold the heat. Just don't let either contact the bulb. We don't eNt any fires.

Many wines benefit from a fermentation around 65 degrees you just need to make sure the must has enough nutrients and O2 to work.

Good Luck. Wineaking is a blast.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I'll look to buy a brew belt, as I don't have a heating blanket / pad. And, I'll try to get it off the floor.

No other space is available to me. It's a small house and the upstairs is over-run with jollyjumpers, toy cars, and mischevious toddlers.

Runningwolf: I'm making a Shiraz.

No other space is available to me. It's a small house and the upstairs is over-run with jollyjumpers, toy cars, and mischevious toddlers.

It sounds like you're working out of my house. I don't have 2 stories though, so all the space I have is 1/2 a closet or take up the kitchen and living room... :)

Back