Breaking Ground!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9CourseWineMusician

Sic Semper Verum Vinum
Reaction score
Friends,

(I frickin' LOVE this place!) :db

I'm kind of multi-tasking here: In other parts of the forum I am learning the science and process of wine-making from the grape to bottle. But this thread is to tap my green-thumb-growing mentors on what to do from ground to grape! (again, just research at this point - don't want to get ahead of myself).

So my first question is this, I have a substantially open place to begin a SMALL vineyard. I am at a loss as to what to do with this ground that I have. As far as I know it is well irrigated (naturally) and very well lit. What would some of the first steps be if I were to want to start planting? Like, what do I need to check to determine what grapes I can grow, and what season(s) are best for planting/starting? Does the grape varietal determine that?

I understand, through previous research, that starting a vineyard means a wait of anywhere between 3 to 5 years before I get a working crop (and I'm ready for that).

So....where do I start!? :-D

Thank You, all!

3d-abstract_other_sunny-vineyard_26088.jpg

I am by far a grape grower, i would go to one of the colleges ag center and ask them what variety would do best, take a soil sample and have them analyze it...ask them there opinion on soil, etc...

Before you begin, I would first make sure you realize what you are getting yourself into.

Once you have done that and accepted it after doing the propper research I would look for varietals of grapes that you really like that grow well in your area... Then of course, you need to do all the nice goodies and good things which other much more knowledgeable people than me will be able to assist you with.

Virginia wines ROCK!

There are some really great varietals that do well there.

What I suggest is this. Start touring some of the many wineries in your area (tough job, huh?). Taste EVERYTHING! settle on a "wish list" of the varietals that you like. Get your soil tested (as James Suggests) and pick the varietal on your wish list that will grow best there. An AG department can help you on this.

BTW, I am jealous. I would love to be in Virginia right now.

I don't mean to be rude but.......

I would do your own research first and foremost and not basically ask to be spoon fed from an easy chair every last detail you want to know about grape growing from the many experienced members on this forum.

If you have specific problems or questions that's fine to ask after you have exhausted efforts to see if the question has already been asked and answered before.

Use the search button. It is your friend.

Read.

Read some more.

Especially read threads like grapeman's "Vineyard from the ground up".

Talk to your local AG extension about what grows well in your area.

Visit local wineries and see what is doing well for them.

Read some more.

Uh, I think he is only asking where to start.

some good suggestions. Those books would be the first place I would start if I were comminting a good bit of land and effort towards it. I would research information from State universities Like the U of Va. They probably have a lot of basic info on in to real specifics.

ibglowin, I am sorry if I have offended you. However, as O-lu, says - I don't even know where to begin this research, I have 'searched' were to start and that is how I ended up here (if you can believe that). I do appreciate your suggestions, and again, am sorry to have offended. However, I will pose that these venerable experts have their own prerogative to answer me, or not. That is their choice. To that end I would add that these amazing people have rallied around someone who has NO CLUE where to even begin and they have drawn me a map, handed me a compass, and put a series of 'X's on that map for me. Such mentors as JohnT (Maestro), Ol-u and James! All of them have come to my aid, with no heed of recompense. For that, I am eternally grateful. This, dear friend, is the mark of a TRUE wine enthusiast. They took their eyes off of themselves and looked at weak, lil olde me and didn't condescend their powerful knowledge to me, nor look down on me. They didn't spoon feed me, nor offer a hand out. They gave me a hand up! That brand of kindness is uncommon (especially the general consensus is that 'wine people' are 'snobby' :-D ).

All of these ideas are perfect for what I am seeking to learn. Thank all of you so very much! I will get right on some of that!

Yes, Maestro! Virginia is singularly the most amazing place on earth! Its incredible and I am so very proud to call her home! We are so rich in wine culture (now I know where to go for it!), steeped in history since before the birth of our great (for now) nation, and producer of patriots and philanthropists alike! Virginia is for [wine] Lovers!

Sic Semper Tyranis!!!!

9course,

Purchase and read the book that I recommended. It takes you from selecting a spot for a vineyard, through selecting what grape to grow, through planting and pruning, and then through the basics of making wine. This book is not too technical (as I remember it) and will do you a world of good in getting you started.

Sour Grapes,

Take a guess where John Wilks Booth was from? ;) I won't get political here at all - but there is something to be said of history in that non-fictional anecdote! :-D

Maestro,

Thank you sir, I will definitely do it! It looks like something I could digest with relative ease.

Awesome!

Its always good to hear a third party on the matter as well! Inspires confidence, thank you, Bob!

Is this a hobby vineyard or the beginnings of a commercial winery?

It doesn't really matter but what does is how much time you would like to spend in the vineyard. Some varietals will require a lot more care than others
and whichever one you choose affects the type of trellis that works best with it and so and so on.

Definitely talk with some vineyard owners and managers in your area. They're experience will be invaluable.

Jp,

My ULTIMATE goal is to own and operate a vineyard and winery (I cannot WAIT for the day I make my first Estate Wine). However, to answer your question, I have to crawl before I can walk, walk before I can run and run before I can bottle wine. :-D

Thanks for the advice!

Reading the two books will give you some good basic information. Don't get too hung up with growing organically because it is very difficult to do east of the Mississippi (it is just too moist).
The suggestion of trying local wines is a great one, but ask to try only varieties they grow right there. It won't do you any good to try a Cab grown in CA but made into wine in VA, it is still a CA Cab.
As you go along, I will help you as I can. Today I had to deal with a fire in my office so I am a bit distracted as I lost everything. Get the books, read them and when there is something you want clarified, just ask.

grapeman!

I am so sorry to hear of the fire, I hope all turns out well, truly! Thank you very much for your support and suggestions! I would never have thought to ask for wines from locally grown grapes! Good looking out!

I'll keep all of you posted!

My advice as a fellow novice-grape grower:

Start small! In the beginning you tend to underestimate the workload a vineyard brings along! And it's a whole lot of work!

Also your taste and your goals will change during your journey. So don't plant too much at once, you might not be satisfied with your choice in the near future!

Start with easy varieties! You might learn more about spraying and pruning with a delicate variety, but you might lose many plants on that way ;)

Latest posts

Back