Bread yeast wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freewolfman

Junior
Reaction score
sometimes I had to use bread yeast in making wine because I can't find wine yeast...it's alcoholic concentration exceed 10% not as they say it die in 5% but the real problem is the bready taste of wine but I read that It may decreased by adding activated charcoal and stir every 3-4 hours for one or two days then filter it to catch the charcoal particles but I didn't try this method yet
also I noticed that the taste of wine depends on the juice used and it would be acceptable when I ferment mead but with malt it would be harder
did anyone try bread yeast before and can tell me what's his experience and which juice will give the best taste results

Last edited:
I think that most here would advise against the use of bread yeast.

Bread yeast is engineered to activate quickly and ferment for only as long as it takes to have bread rise. It is also not resistant to a number of fermentation problems, namely yeast break down.

Go on the internet. Good, quality wine yeast is cheap (anywhere from $1 to $2).

I would let you wine age for a number of months. Make sure to rack you wine a couple of times to remove the yeast sediment. You may find that the bread flavor may fade.

Do not use charcoal. You may filter a lot of the flavor components that you would prefer to keep.

Not certain but I think that bread yeast will not flocculate (gather and drop out of suspension) in quite the same way that wine yeasts do. So what that means is that the yeast will remain in suspension and that then suggests that it will quite difficult to produce a bright clear wine.

The only time I have used bread yeast was when making JAOM(Joe's Ancient Orange Mead).

Last edited:
wineforfun
I mean that I can't tolerate its taste when it still juice so I throw it and never ferment it at all

read this comparison between wine yeast and bread yeast wines and you'll change your mind....you'll find the english translation in the lower half of the site

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2010/10/bakkersgist-baking-yeast.html

it's quite good but I still need to improve the taste somewhat so I need the expert's advice

Nope.. just because his experiment went ok, does not mean what I said above is not true. If it were acceptable, perhaps you would not be having issues right now.

Wine yeast has been bred for centuries to possess the best qualities. All this for about $1 more than what you pay for bread yeast.

If what this article said were true, then why don't any winemakers use it?

There seems to be positives and negatives about using bread yeast. I suppose if you have to use it, then maybe use fruits that have a strong flavor. Blackberries, red grapes, maybe plums or cherries? Or combination of? Could order wine yeast online and have it shipped to your door for free, sometime try ebay. Not sure how well a wine made with bread yeast would hold up in the bottle though? I suppose you could try it, drink it young if it's good, and hold a few bottles back and see how they age? Would be an interesting experiment if you have the extra fruit to experiment with? Maybe the bready/ yeasty flavors would mellow with time? Good luck!

Could try strong flavored fruits like blackberries, red grapes, plums, cherries, or a combination of? Could mellow out once it's bottled and ages a bit but you may end up with yeast in your bottles if you can't get it to clear completely before bottling. I wonder what kind of shelf life a bread yeast wine would have compared to one made with wine yeast? I would probably recommend ordering wine yeast. There are many online supply shops and enthusiasts on ebay that sell by the packet and have free shipping!

Good luck!

I guess as a social scientist I am skeptical about any self published articles that have not been peer reviewed. I have no idea what variety of bread yeast luc has access to I doubt that it is Fleischman's so i have no idea how close his bread yeast is to the wine yeast he uses. I have no doubt that bread or beer or lager or wine yeast will ferment the sugars in fruit and honey but the question is whether the flavors they impart and enhance are the most appropriate flavors for the wines being produced. I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating... Me? I will continue to use yeasts cultivated for wine production and use baker's yeast for my bread baking (although I do sometimes use ale yeast when I make mead).

Last edited:
I am soooo confused! Why would someone invest all their time and money into making wine and then flip bread yeast into it? Just my time is worth more then that.... Let alone the investment made into good fruit! I would have more faith in balloon wine....

Sdelli/Bernard:
My thoughts exactly. Just consider yeast breakdown and H2S issues. Do you honestly think that bread yeast will be as resistant as a cultivated wine yeast? Saving $1 on a packet of yeast is simply not worth the risk of the types of issues you can encounter.

Freewolfman:
We may be sounding a little harsh in this thread. My apologies, but we are passionate about wine and really want to see you avoid any major issues. We have all been there where all of the effort, money, and time resulted in something undrinkable. That is heartache in its truest form. We hate to see you go through that.

And also, like Luc, I don't see any harm in experimenting with bread yeast, but experimentation is very different from creating a set-up where you are controlling for a specific set of outcomes. Experimentation suggests that the outcomes are very open and what you are doing is controlling for the inputs. Much of the time - most of the time -- when I make beers or wines I am trying to control the outcomes. When I want to experiment I am quite prepared to consider the wine or beer I make to be all but undrinkable but the experiment must still be robust and useful .

I can agree with that... If you want to play mad scientist and see how it goes... Game on. But if you are truely trying to make a respectable product then this is not even a conversation...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back