Bread supplies were running low

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That crumb looks quite delicious and the crust looks perfect. Gotta say that I have not bought bread in I don't remember how long. My wife and I love to bake bread.

That looks really really good. A friend recently shared a buttermilk bread recipe that I tried, was simple for an amateur, and it tasted great.

I'm not m of a baker but I think I need to start a loaf today. It also turns into a great cinnamon raisin walnut bread that makes awesome french toast

Mike

I highly recommend Ken Forkish's book "Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast". Just noticed the Kindle version is only five bucks right now on Amazon. No sandwich breads in his book, but this loaf was made with this recipe: Simply Sandwich Bread (Recipe + Video) | Sally's Baking Addiction

I look at posts like this and see the good out of sheltering at home. Do we normally rush too fast to enjoy life, , , or a grand kid showing off their paper cutting skill, , , yes on FaceTime.
So I jumped into action this morning, allowing us to be prepared for lunch.View attachment 59880
yumm, , our last home bread was trying my mom’s Christmas stolen.

Jim, there is a commercial bakery across from my office. They have a small retail counter. Pretty good bread and cheaper than the grocery store. Although it seems you are having fun making it.

I've seen the signs - "Firehouse Bakery", or something like that? I've been tempted to drop in.

Today the bread isle was over flowing but there wasn't much flour. People got this figured out. :rolleyes:

I just returned from the store and it was the same story here. Interestingly, very little cake mix too.

I just returned from the store and it was the same story here. Interestingly, very little cake mix too.
Same here, though I'm starting to see some all purpose flour and whole wheat flour. My brother has decided during his stay at home (I think he's going on 6 weeks now) to try to perfect pizza making. He's invested in many different Italian tomato products and high gluten flours, which are usually great for making bread (I think the King Arthur Bread flour that I can't find now has a 12.6% gluten content, so not quite high gluten but pretty good). He has an order of three different high gluten flour products coming from this site he found. He hopes to find a favorite from the 5 lbs he ordered of each, then order a 25 lb sack. I'm hoping he doesn't like one of them as well as the others and gives me the remainder he didn't use.

Here's a link: Pennsylvania Macaroni Company

Yes, I love the King Arthur for pizza dough, especially if you let it hang out in the fridge overnight (or even several nights), the flavor is incredible.

Darn, I just placed an order from PMC and shipping is exorbitant. I used to complain about the FedEx ground costs for a wine kit from Ohio, can't complain anymore. A $25 order, albeit about nine pounds of stuff, cost $21. They did have an interesting GF pizza flour option which I ordered. 2 lbs of the flour was over $8, but I'm used to paying a premium for GF products. If it's good it will be worth it and should be able to make a few crusts out of it (his tend to be smaller since he's gotta watch his carbs as a T1D). Also ordered some expresso and anchovies, just not letting the better half know about those quite yet.

When I first started making Pizza, I bought some Caputo 00 flour. Then I read somewhere that Bread flour is better if you are cooking in an oven. However, if you have a Pizza oven then the 00 flour is better. Something about the oven not getting hot enough to provide desired structure. I switched to regular bread flour and I do think my pizza crust structure is better, but it could also be getting the process of making dough has improved.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-flour-for-making-pizza-dough-2708766

Latest posts

Back