Bread supplies were running low

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The large Mormon population here wiped out the baking aisle from the start (6 weeks ago) and it remains that way still to this day. Luckily they have not figured out my secret supply. Frozen aisle. I couldn't make a better loaf from scratch if I tried (and I have tried).Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 8.17.28 AM.png

When I first started making Pizza, I bought some Caputo 00 flour. Then I read somewhere that Bread flour is better if you are cooking in an oven. However, if you have a Pizza oven then the 00 flour is better. Something about the oven not getting hot enough to provide desired structure. I switched to regular bread flour and I do think my pizza crust structure is better, but it could also be getting the process of making dough has improved.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-flour-for-making-pizza-dough-2708766

If I remember right from working at a pizza place in highschool those ovens ran around 450 degrees,. Conveyer took about 5-6 minutes to run through. Don't know if a modern convection oven would be able to recreate it or not.

When I bake pizza at home I set the oven to 500 and then when I place the pizza in the oven I reduce the temperature to 450, but it still takes at least 10 minutes to get it to the color and appearance we like.

I have a Kettle Pizza that I use with my Performer. Though I have to admit, I probably do pizza in the oven about 50% of the time. Set oven to 550 (as high as it'll go) and let it and a pizza stone warm up for at least 30 minutes. Results are pretty darn good, though I'd love to get a wood fired oven outside.

I saw this on the news last night. If you live north of Seattle and want a 50lb bag of flour, then your in luck. This company typically sells to bakeries but now are selling to the public for pick up at thier location Monday - Friday.

The news stated that they might try to have smaller bags available for the public in the future, but for now it is just 50lb bags. Likely depending upon demand.

11829 Water Tank Road, Burlington, WA 98233
https://www.cairnspring.com

Latest posts

Back