Brand spanking new...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a pretty color!
Thanks!

I think it's darker than it would've been because I had frozen my peaches before making the wine.

I had more fresh peaches than I could use at the time, so I cut them down and tossed them inn the freezer. The fruit darkened after I thawed it, but I think it gave the wine I deep, rich color.

That's a pretty color!
Thanks!

I think it's darker than it would've been because I had frozen my peaches before making the wine.

I had more fresh peaches than I could use at the time, so I cut them down and tossed them inn the freezer. The fruit darkened after I thawed it, but I think it gave the wine a nice, deep, rich color.

Thanks!

I had more fresh peaches than I could use at the time, so I cut them down and tossed them inn the freezer. The fruit darkened after I thawed it, but I think it gave the wine a nice, deep, rich color.
Sorry for the double post.

When I posted the first time, my reply showed up in a pop-up. I didn't think that it posted (plus, I saw a small typo, which I fixed), so I hit post again.

Also, another question for the more experienced: how's my headspace? Should I have topped up more?
I did notice your air lock seems a little full. Once degassed, it’s possible for a drop in temperature to create a negative pressure in the carboy, causing bubbles to go backwards through the air lock. It’s rare, but I’ve seen it happen. Careful it’s not so full that it would suck solution into your wine. If you take the air lock off, you should be able to blow gently into the top without any liquid coming out the bottom.

It's been just over a week since I racked my wine to my secondary. It seems to be doing OK. Tiny bubbles slowly streaming to the top. I've included a link to a short video of activity.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rrVoD1WQPDHiWQUY9
However, there doesn't appear to be any movement in my airlock. I've made sure the bung is in nice and tight, and I know there's positive pressure in the carboy because the water is higher on the outbound side.

IMG_20200924_175523.jpg

I don't know that I have anything to worry about but I figured I'd post an update and see what feedback I can get.

Let me know what you all think! 😊

It's been just over a week since I racked my wine to my secondary. It seems to be doing OK. Tiny bubbles slowly streaming to the top. I've included a link to a short video of activity.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rrVoD1WQPDHiWQUY9
However, there doesn't appear to be any movement in my airlock. I've made sure the bung is in nice and tight, and I know there's positive pressure in the carboy because the water is higher on the outbound side.

View attachment 66309

I don't know that I have anything to worry about but I figured I'd post an update and see what feedback I can get.

Let me know what you all think! 😊
Air lock looks fine to me. You could probably top up a bit more now though, if you have it, maybe to about the center of the finger hole.

So, here's an update: I racked my wine into another jug (shortly after the above post) before topping it up because there was something gray floating on top. At first I was afraid it was mold, but after looking more closely, I wasn't sure.

Anyway, like I said, I racked it, topped it up with more white zin, and put it back in my basement.

I was concerned that I donked it up with all of my shenanigans because it stopped bubbling. Then, two days later I saw little tiny bubbles floating up. But then they stopped a day or so later. Then they started again. Now they've stopped again.

I know it will stop bubbling when fermentation is complete, and I haven't tested SG again, yet.

All that being said, this is what it looked like on day 37 (yesterday). Not sure if that ring is anything to worry about.

And finally, I just checked it again, and there are now little tiny bubbles floating up again.

The journey continues... 😊

Attachments

• PXL_20201006_133817178.jpg
    PXL_20201006_133817178.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
You'll get residue from fermentation around the top of the jug. It's probably nothing.

Check the SG. If it's done (0.998 or less) look at the sediment, and if there is a layer, rack again.

Clean the jug well before putting wine back in it.

There is very little sediment at the bottom, and the wine has cleared up considerably.

And as of right now, there are still tiny, tiny bubbles floating up.

I think I'm just going to let things go on the way they are for another week or so before doing anything, unless something drastic happens.

Attachments

• PXL_20201008_184534225.jpg
    PXL_20201008_184534225.jpg
    988.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20201008_184604264.jpg
    PXL_20201008_184604264.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Hi all,

Si here's an update. My wine has been in my secondary fermenter for about 6 weeks. I can't say exactly when the bubbles stopped, but it's definitely not bubbling any more, so I thought it would be ready for bottling. I just tested the SG and it's around 1.015. I made sure that there were no bubbles on my hydrometer. So I'm not sure what to do now.

Attachments

• PXL_20201101_145102550.jpg
    PXL_20201101_145102550.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi all,

Si here's an update. My wine has been in my secondary fermenter for about 6 weeks. I can't say exactly when the bubbles stopped, but it's definitely not bubbling any more, so I thought it would be ready for bottling. I just tested the SG and it's around 1.015. I made sure that there were no bubbles on my hydrometer. So I'm not sure what to do now.
Hmmm, after 2 months that indicates your wine hasn't fermented dry. Has it been that value for a while now, or is it still dropping slowly? Can you confirm your hydrometer reads 1.000 in water? How clear is it? (Maybe a pic?) If the SG is not dropping, and it's crystal clear, and you like the taste, you could probably bottle it now after adding K-Meta (1 Campden tablet per gallon) and K-Sorbate (1/2 tsp per gallon). I would get some more opinions than just mine though.

Thanks for the input, @KCCam.

I just verified that my hydrometer does read 1.000 in the filtered water I used for my wine. And I hadn't taken an SG reading for a while because of all that's involved.

Because the wine is in a narrow necked 1 gallon carboy, I can't get my wine thief in it, and it's not deep enough to float the hydrometer directly in the jug. I have to siphon to test, and I wanted to minimize the number of time I did that to avoid contamination.

Anyway, I wouldn't say the wine is crystal clear, but I can see through it, at this point (pic attached).

The taste is pretty good, so I ordered some k-meta and k-sorbate, so I will be ready for bottling when the time comes.

Waiting to hear what others may have to say.

Attachments

• PXL_20201102_150526354.jpg
    PXL_20201102_150526354.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20201102_151113356.jpg
    PXL_20201102_151113356.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 14
Well, I would say that it looks like you have a stuck fermentation. Your basic choices are to try to restart the fermentation, or to take a risk and try to stabilize it and then bottle it (if you like the way it tastes now).

Restarting a fermentation that close to finished (1.015) is not trivial. To do so, I would use a starter (Using Yeast Starters For Improved Fermentation).

For the latter option, I would be very patient. Rack, use k-meta and sorbate, then wait months to see if it is stable (i.e., not fermenting) before bottling.

The best way to get a stuck ferment to re-ignite is to bottle it!

That is said in a Murphy's Law frame of mind. 😂

You have at least 3 choices:

1. Stabilize and bottle if you're happy with the taste, as @KCCam suggested.

2. Let it set another month, as it's not hurting it.

3. Add a yeast nutrient and/or energizer, and warm the wine a bit, possibly by putting it in direct morning sunlight for 3 or 4 days. This may kick off a renewed fermentation. Whether it works or not, let it set another month.

Anyway, I wouldn't say the wine is crystal clear, but I can see through it,
Yah, when it’s clear you can read a newspaper (or your keyboard) through it. But on the bright side, you’re only dealing with 1 gallon (5 bottles). Whatever you decide, I would say that it’s not really the cost of the ingredients you’re trying to salvage, like it might be if you were making 6 gallons or 60 gallons, and that the time you’ve invested is not wasted, regardless of the outcome.

I would rack it now to get it off the sediment so samples can be taken without stirring it up. As I mentioned before, I suggest if you have a turkey baster, clean it well or buy a cheap one. Siphoning to get a sample is a pain. 5 pumps of the baster gets me enough wine for an SG measurement, and can be used to return the wine without stirring up the lees too. It’s quicker than siphoning and easier to sanitize than racking equipment. SG measurements are too important to me to skip, especially when troubleshooting.

And finally, my “refermentaphobia” got me into trouble recently when I may have been a little too assertive with my comments, but if you bottle cloudy wine, I recommend you store it in a way that you won’t be too upset if you pop a cork or two, preferably in a cool location. Your chances are probably pretty slim that you would have problems, but higher than if your wine is clear when you bottle it.

"clear" is a easy to misunderstand term in wine making. For lighter wines, as @KCCam stated, you can read through the wine. For darker wines (like the one pictured below, which is giving black holes tips on how to trap light), it's not as obvious. Think of "clear" as meaning "has no visible suspended particles and isn't dropping sediment".

I'm not sure of what I see in the picture of the wine. Thinking about it more, my instinct is that it's not done. This is gut feel, so there's no science behind it. If it was me:

Rack the wine, get it off any sediment. Hit it with an energizer and/or nutrient. Give it another month.

Rack off any sediment. Stir the wine to drive off CO2. Test SG and consider your options:

1. If it's 0.996 or less, fermentation is done. Stabilize and sweeten to taste.

2. If it's still 1.015 ... it ain't movin'. Stabilize.

3. If the SG is in between -- post and ask advice again. Everything depends on the SG and there will be differences in opinions! ;)

If it's #1 or #2, I would use a clarifying agent. Give it a couple of weeks, rack again, and bottle.

Don't stress over this. Wine is a natural product that works according to Mother Nature's rules. Learn to accept what "is" and work with it!

IMG_20201102_161403335.jpg

Back