Brand spanking new...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaudun

Novice wine maker, veteran wine drinker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brand new to wine making. I've just put up my first batch of peach wine as a trial run. It's been going for about 5 days, at this point. This is what it looks like.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/81tmfws5mGQK9FtV7
I've read on many sites that you should check your specific gravity frequently. I've also read that you should not return the sample from your hydrometer to your fermenter.

The hydrometer that I bought came with a 250 ml cylinder. My question is, what should I do when making a gallon of wine? If I pour off a quarter of a liter whenever I test my SG, if I test it 4 times, I've lost about a quarter of my product before I even rack my wine.

I know alot of guys might not agree, and I haven't been doing this nearly as long as most of these guys. But, as long as I have everything, and I mean everything sanitized I will return it to the carboy as long as it didn't touch anything else. Also, frequently is a little bit vague. I tend to only check it after a week or so of primary. That tells me when it should be ready to rack to secondary or when it's close, then I check to before I rack. Then after that I check to make sure it's finished and to backsweeten. I feel your pain I started with one gallon jugs and didn't want to lose a full 750ml just checking gravity. I'm sure everyone has there own process and protocol. But for me atleast so far. I always return it, just being careful to always make sure everything is clean and has been in starsan. Hope that helps/makes sense.

Thanks, that helps. I was inclined to do the same. Making sure that everything is sanitized thoroughly. I won't be as concerned once I move up to my 5 gallon, but for a 1 gallon, it seems like a lot of waste.

My standard is a sample in a 50 ml plastic cylinder. I will return the sample to the must and when the gravity is below 1.060 will just float a smaller hydrometer in it. (Theory: the scoop is clean, the cylinder is clean, the hydrometer is clean !! if picky would spray meta on it first) I also have hunted Goodwill enough to find a bud vase that works as a tall small cylinder for gravity less than 1.
D84F0909-E1D7-45EA-B96D-3243E1D8BA00.jpeg
pH will get tossed.
(opinion, peach is a harder wine to run than grape,,,, peach takes lots to clear).

Interesting photo @Vaudun, will have to research that technology and, .... welcome to WMT

Last edited:
A refractometer works very well for checking Brix (percent sugar, similar to specific gravity), but only uses a few drops...
They are a bit spendy though.
Might be something for you to consider down the line.
Downside is that once fermentation has begun, you need to use a calculation to modify the reading you get (due to the presence of alcohol changing the refractabiity of the liquid), but that's pretty easy.

Follow basic cleaning practices with your equipment and return the SG sample to the bucket.

The only samples you should never return are those used for a TA check - When you use any additional chemicals to do a test, DON'T return THAT sample. I never do a TA test, just pH tests with digital meter. You only do the TA test before fermentation or well after it done so that isn't a big issue and the sample is much smaller.

Thanks for all the great input, everyone. I feel better knowing that I'm not committing a grievous wine-making sin by returning my SG sample to my fermenter. ;) I'll post later on my progress. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the great input, everyone. I feel better knowing that I'm not committing a grievous wine-making sin by returning my SG sample to my fermenter. ;) I'll post later on my progress. Thanks again!
shoot pouring out your sample is akin to throwing away your hydrometer every time you use one, that;s as stated better by those above, lol, i use only my wine thief to put my hydrometer in to get my SG, and as stated above just sanitize everything first every time,,, i always return my samples, the only exceptions is what @Scooter68 said about any sample you added chemicals to to test for things, anytime i go into my wine room the first thing i do is fill a sink basin with water and k-meta, but if you don't have a sink in your wine room , then i;d make up a k-meta solution in a bowl or jugs something, once your in the habit of making up a k-meta solution for sanitation, you've way by many factors reduced your risk of contamination, as well just me but by the door i keep exam gloves and face mask, i have a tracheotomy, so i cover it before entering my wine room, OH BTW welcome to WMT,,
Dawg

I add 1/4 teaspoon of pot. meta powder, to a 32 oz. spray bottle, and fill it with water. It has worked as a sanitizer for me or the last 3 years (I'm new!) I find that wine is very forgiving to the winemaker, it can withstand the occasional mistake, and come through with impunity.

(Some mistakes are more unforgiving to fermentation, like mistakenly adding pot. sorbate too soon.)

Last edited:
Thanks, all, for the info and encouragement. :)

So, this is day 8 of my inaugural wine making journey. Fermentation is starting to slow down a bit. The fermenter is still bubbling, but there is no longer the "snow globe" effect with the sediment swirling around inside.

The recipe I'm using said to move to a secondary fermenter when fermentation slows after 10 to 14 days. However, I've read here about making that decision based on SG.

My OG was 1.108. How would you all recommend that I determine when to move to my secondary?

And thanks again!
V

Thanks, all, for the info and encouragement. :)

So, this is day 8 of my inaugural wine making journey. Fermentation is starting to slow down a bit. The fermenter is still bubbling, but there is no longer the "snow globe" effect with the sediment swirling around inside.

The recipe I'm using said to move to a secondary fermenter when fermentation slows after 10 to 14 days. However, I've read here about making that decision based on SG.

My OG was 1.108. How would you all recommend that I determine when to move to my secondary?

And thanks again!
V

You are correct, the best indicator of "time to move" is when the fermentation slows down, typically somewhere in the vicinity of 1.000, could be .998 or 1.008 depending upon the wine, but don't sweat the numbers too much. Anything under 1.010 is usually safe. What you don't want, is a very actively fermenting wine to go into a carboy and create all sorts of messes, wine volcanoes, overflows, bubblers full of wine and foam, that sort of stuff. If you are going to err, err on the side of caution, which is waiting longer, rather than racking too soon.

What is your current SG?

Yup, as Johnd Stated most of us only make the premature racking move once. After cleaning up that mess, lessons learned are not often forgotten.
I've had a few ferments finish so fast that they were already at .992-.990 when I took another reading. For the first 2-3 days after fermentation finishes there is still a fair amount of CO2 gassing off providing a little protection but best not to push your luck. For me a tell-tale sign is when the surface no longer has a solid layer of foam but rather is down to islands or a ring of foam around the edge. THEN I rack but still observe for an hour or so afterwards

Hi, all. So here's an update on my progress. It's day 9, and I just treated my SG. It's 1.044, if I'm reading it right. Attaching a pic, if someone could verify.

Anyway, I think I'm going to wait 'til day 14 before checking again. Then we'll see how it goes! 😆

Attachments

• IMG_20200909_200858.jpg
    IMG_20200909_200858.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
Hi, all. So here's an update on my progress. It's day 9, and I just treated my SG. It's 1.044, if I'm reading it right. Attaching a pic, if someone could verify.

Anyway, I think I'm going to wait 'til day 14 before checking again. Then we'll see how it goes! 😆

Yes, I think you are reading it correctly. (Hard to say from here within 0.001 or 2.)

Usually primary fermentation is done in an open bucket with just a towel covering it or a lid resting loosely on top. Much easier to clean, and gives your yeast better access to oxygen when it needs it. 9 days seems like a long time to only come down to 1.044, unless you are intentionally going for a slow ferment. It also allows you to start with a little more volume than your secondary has, so when you rack off the gross lees, you will fill your secondary without having to top up with water or another wine. When you rack off the lees from your 1 gallon jug shown in the video, you will have a lot of headspace to top up, unless you have a smaller secondary.

Usually primary fermentation is done in an open bucket with just a towel covering it or a lid resting loosely on top. Much easier to clean, and gives your yeast better access to oxygen when it needs it. 9 days seems like a long time to only come down to 1.044, unless you are intentionally going for a slow ferment. It also allows you to start with a little more volume than your secondary has, so when you rack off the gross lees, you will fill your secondary without having to top up with water or another wine. When you rack off the lees from your 1 gallon jug shown in the video, you will have a lot of headspace to top up, unless you have a smaller secondary.
Thanks KKCam. I'll keep that in mind for the future. I've only been doing this for just over a week, so I've still got a LOT to learn.

I'm keeping my fermenter in the basement, which is around 65°, so I expect that's the reason for the slower fermentation rate.

My secondary is also a 1 gallon, so I was wondering if I should top it up with water when I rack it. I guess the answer is yes?

I've only been doing this for just over a week, so I've still got a LOT to learn.
Forgot to say “Welcome!” I think you'll like it here. Get ready for a fun ride!

I'm keeping my fermenter in the basement, which is around 65°, so I expect that's the reason for the slower fermentation rate.
Yes, cool temperatures slow things down. Make sure you're in the suitable range for the yeast you're using (what yeast are you using?). Primary fermentation in a carboy (jug) with an air lock can also slow down fermentation.

My secondary is also a 1 gallon, so I was wondering if I should top it up with water when I rack it. I guess the answer is yes?
That depends. Purists will say NEVER top up with water. But really, it depends on your recipe (was it meant to make a full gallon of finished wine?), your taste (are you going to mind it being watered down?), the availability of a compatible wine, how long you plan to age it, and the amount you need to top up. You would not likely be able to tell the difference if you only added a few ounces of water to a gallon of wine, but some people would. Peach is known to drop a lot of sediment, so I think you will probably have a pretty big space to fill.

If you post the actual recipe, you might get some advice from more experienced members. If it were my wine, I would rack it when it got down to about 1.010 or less, smelling it every couple of days to make sure the yeast isn't stressed (H2S - rotten egg smell - is a sign). It would still be producing enough CO2 that the large headspace would be OK, probably. As soon as the SG is the same for 3 days, I would take a small sample, say 1/4 cup, and taste it. Add a bit of sugar, say 1/4 tsp, and taste again. Add another 1/4 tsp and taste again. If I like it well enough to drink now, I would clear it quickly with DualFine, stabilize, backsweeten, and bottle. Then enjoy it while I do my next batch. If I didn't like it well enough to drink now, then I would take the necessary steps to allow aging, including adding a compatible wine to top up. In the mean time, spend some time learning about when & why you do what, especially potassium metabisulfite (k-meta) and potassium sorbate (sorbate), as it confuses a lot of beginners. @winemaker81 graciously provided a very nice summary here: Dono if my wine is done or not yet

Forgot to say “Welcome!” I think you'll like it here. Get ready for a fun ride!
Thanks! 😊
Yes, cool temperatures slow things down. Make sure you're in the suitable range for the yeast you're using (what yeast are you using?). Primary fermentation in a carboy (jug) with an air lock can also slow down fermentation.
I'm using Lalvin EC-1118.
If you post the actual recipe, you might get some advice from more experienced members.
Here is the recipe that I used: Homemade Peach Wine
If it were my wine, I would rack it when it got down to about 1.010 or less, smelling it every couple of days to make sure the yeast isn't stressed (H2S - rotten egg smell - is a sign). It would still be producing enough CO2 that the large headspace would be OK, probably. As soon as the SG is the same for 3 days, I would take a small sample, say 1/4 cup, and taste it. Add a bit of sugar, say 1/4 tsp, and taste again. Add another 1/4 tsp and taste again. If I like it well enough to drink now, I would clear it quickly with DualFine, stabilize, backsweeten, and bottle. Then enjoy it while I do my next batch. If I didn't like it well enough to drink now, then I would take the necessary steps to allow aging, including adding a compatible wine to top up. In the mean time, spend some time learning about when & why you do what, especially potassium metabisulfite (k-meta) and potassium sorbate (sorbate), as it confuses a lot of beginners. @winemaker81 graciously provided a very nice summary here: Dono if my wine is done or not yet
Thanks for all the info. I'll guess I'll be learning a lot on this journey, and doing a lot of research!

Latest posts

Back