Brand new/Need Help with Equip

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

b-ray22

Wife and I are ready to get started making wine. I have my space all set up and am ready to purchase equipment and kits. What exactly do I need as far as equipment and what kits would you recommend for a first timer? Can someone recommend a equip kit that has everything I need? I don't want to order than wish I had bought another piece. would like equip to be all inclusive. btw on the wine kits, we prefer to drink whites/zins.
Thanks in Advance, We can hardly wait to get started.

B-Ray

Hi b-ray22!

Welcome to the forum and the hobby.

Check out this website:
http://finevinewines.com/

And you can check here for complete kits to get you started:
http://www.finevinewines.com/home-wine-making-kits.html#A

It would probley be better to call that store, the owners name is George and he is very knoweldgable. I have used his store for close to a year now with no problems. Talk to him and he will take care of you.

Tell him Scuba sent ya ;)

I am having a real hard time with the siphoning equipment. There has got to be a better way than to do this manually. Has anybody got suggestions for a small personal winemaker?

It would be nice to know what you are currently using.

However, I recommend and LOVE the Auto-Siphon from Fermtech. The regular one requires 5/16" id hose and the large requires 7/16" id hose. Available at any decent HBS (by my definition it's not decent if they don't sell the Auto-Siphon). A really good HBS will also sell replacement centre tubes.

http://www.fermtech.on.ca/siphon starter/siphon.html

Steve

I'm using a regular siphon. They showed me again today at the brew shop how to start the siphon by running the tap water until it starts to draw, then plunging the hose into the next racking vessel, but this just isn't working for me. I can't get the siphon started and running continously. I am a mess and have spent the better part the last hour trying to clean the mess in my kitchen. I know it doesn't need to be this difficult.

Anybody having trouble siphoning should get a Fermtech Auto Siphon.

However, let's see how I do on explaining how to siphon without an a/s

First, place bottom of source vessel higher than top of target vessel.

Method A:
Place hose in souce vessel. Suck on other end of hose and place in target vessel.

Method B;
Equipment required: siphon hose, siphon rod, tube clamp (usually white)
1) Clean and sanitize everything
2) Fill hose and rod with water. Close clamp and insert hose end in target.
3) Put rod end in source
4) Open clamp

I have used this method a couple of times with complete success. Usually demo'ing the method when I had a store.

The real answer: GET AN AUTO-SIPHON.

Steve

Anybody having trouble siphoning should get a Fermtech Auto Siphon.

Steve

Normally I agree with you Steve but this time....... :p

What I mean to say is:
even if you do NOT have trouble with siphoning still get a Fermtech Auto Siphon.

This product is one of the best investments I ever made in winemaking.

Luc

I've seen somewhere on the net a siphon that is started by blowing into a tube and pressurising the vessel.
Does anyone have knowledge of such, please?
I'm having trouble with siphoning, drawn to the Fermtech but not having physically seen one reluctant to blind mail order.
Have used the blow method years back to transfer fuel when boat racing and this bit of kit looked the bees knees.
Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back