Brand new Back yard Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChateauSylvia

Junior
Reaction score
I intend to begin creating my backyard This spring (2023). I've been daydreaming about it for some time now. I have about half an acre to work with. Initially, I do not intend on planting all of it. My hope is to start small and add a little after some success. My thought is, to begin with, Petit Mangsang, Petit Verdot, and maybe just one other variety. I'm starting from scratch. I have had Mis-Utility give me the Okay to commence and utilize the entire area. I am pondering does it make sense for me to hire a fencing company to build, or at least install the posts, for my trellis system. I am looking for step-by-step advice on putting a plan together. It's my wish to have the vines in the ground by June. many updates to follow.

- there is a lot of learning curve on taking care of grapes in a humid climate. Yield will be low while you are learning
- grapes are a five year project. I planted the first vines and switched from bailing twine to wire on spring no. three. The local winery will control weeds on year zero, plant with rebar at each vine on year one and start training year two
- there are local Virginia wineries talk to them and copy. Virginia tech has a good winery program. There are several WMT members in Va.

Welcome to WMT

Welcome!

I have vines in two Virginia locations; one vineyard in the mountains and the other in Eastern Virginia.

To answer your specific question about trellis installation, it depends on how much work you want to do yourself. You can wait until year two to install trellis and as Rice Guy noted you can go with baling twine or string at first. Or you can install trellis before you plant the vines. Your choice.

June is late to plant vines in your area. While they can be planted until August, you will have to water them through the summer. I like to get mine in the ground by the middle or end of April.

Petit Verdot and Petit Manseng should do well in your area. Do check out the VATECH resources and talk to some local vineyards. Do you have your vines on order? Double A Vineyards is a great place to source vines but be warned they are suggesting you order a year ahead to be certain of obtaining the varieties and preferred rootstock. I just checked and they are sold out of Petit Manseng for Spring 23. Though you should call because their website is not working properly according to a banner on the homepage.

You have a lot of things to consider so do look at the grape growers forum and you may find answers to many of your questions.

Welcome. Nice to have you!
I think you made a wise decision by joining. Good luck.

I intend to begin creating my backyard This spring (2023). I've been daydreaming about it for some time now. I have about half an acre to work with. Initially, I do not intend on planting all of it. My hope is to start small and add a little after some success. My thought is, to begin with, Petit Mangsang, Petit Verdot, and maybe just one other variety. I'm starting from scratch. I have had Mis-Utility give me the Okay to commence and utilize the entire area. I am pondering does it make sense for me to hire a fencing company to build, or at least install the posts, for my trellis system. I am looking for step-by-step advice on putting a plan together. It's my wish to have the vines in the ground by June. many updates to follow.
How did your first year vineyard build go ?

Back