Bourbon Barrels?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreetGlide

Reaction score
I came across some emptied bourbon barrels on Amazon. They are American oak, I would probably guess light toast or neutral. Is a used bourbon barrel ok to use to age wine?

I came across some emptied bourbon barrels on Amazon. They are American oak, I would probably guess light toast or neutral. Is a used bourbon barrel ok to use to age wine?

After reading a few posts I noticed that these barrels come from a company that others deal with. They are Am M Toast. I went ahead and ordered 2 of them

We used to use them all the time when I made wine with my family in PA. We could get 53 gallon barrels from the Schenley Distillery near Freeport for $5 apiece and there was usually that much whiskey left in them. That gave our wine a little extra kick!

As I remember, Schenley Reserve was a "blended American Whiskey," whatever that means. It was not a bourbon which is usually made from corn and probably mostly from wheat or rye. As far as I recall, they were not toasted. I say this because, from time to time, we would convert one of these barrels to a "working barrel" (primary fermenter) by removing the head and I don't recall seeing evidence of toasting.

Unfortunately these barrels were listed as medium char and not med toast. I did cancel the order. Really disappointed as I was pretty happy to have had these coming.

Was able to find 2 new 5 gal med toast not char wine barrels from The Barrel Mill and then are on their way.

Funny they don't list toasted on their website but I called and they do in fact toast. Was there an up charge for only getting 2 barrels, it's kind of deceiving. Also how much are they charging for shipping. The price they list is very good.

I paid $40 each for shipping to Pa. Got my email they went out yesterday and will be here Friday.

Barrels were delivered. No upcharge for only 2. Packaged perfect and I could not be happier. Plan on getting 2 more very soon

Back