Bourbon Barrels?

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

StreetGlide

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I came across some emptied bourbon barrels on Amazon. They are American oak, I would probably guess light toast or neutral. Is a used bourbon barrel ok to use to age wine?

StreetGlide

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I came across some emptied bourbon barrels on Amazon. They are American oak, I would probably guess light toast or neutral. Is a used bourbon barrel ok to use to age wine?
After reading a few posts I noticed that these barrels come from a company that others deal with. They are Am M Toast. I went ahead and ordered 2 of them

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
We used to use them all the time when I made wine with my family in PA. We could get 53 gallon barrels from the Schenley Distillery near Freeport for $5 apiece and there was usually that much whiskey left in them. That gave our wine a little extra kick!

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
If they were bourbon barrels, I would be very surprised if they were medium Toast. Usually bourbon barrels are talked of as being charred, which brings out more smokiness and almost burnt taste. I would be careful putting wine into them.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
As I remember, Schenley Reserve was a "blended American Whiskey," whatever that means. It was not a bourbon which is usually made from corn and probably mostly from wheat or rye. As far as I recall, they were not toasted. I say this because, from time to time, we would convert one of these barrels to a "working barrel" (primary fermenter) by removing the head and I don't recall seeing evidence of toasting.

StreetGlide

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately these barrels were listed as medium char and not med toast. I did cancel the order. Really disappointed as I was pretty happy to have had these coming.

StreetGlide

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Was able to find 2 new 5 gal med toast not char wine barrels from The Barrel Mill and then are on their way.

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Funny they don't list toasted on their website but I called and they do in fact toast. Was there an up charge for only getting 2 barrels, it's kind of deceiving. Also how much are they charging for shipping. The price they list is very good.

StreetGlide

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Funny they don't list toasted on their website but I called and they do in fact toast. Was there an up charge for only getting 2 barrels, it's kind of deceiving. Also how much are they charging for shipping. The price they list is very good.
I paid $40 each for shipping to Pa. Got my email they went out yesterday and will be here Friday.

StreetGlide

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Barrels were delivered. No upcharge for only 2. Packaged perfect and I could not be happier. Plan on getting 2 more very soon

Johnd

Large Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Barrels were delivered. No upcharge for only 2. Packaged perfect and I could not be happier. Plan on getting 2 more very soon
you know the old WMT saying...”Pics or it didn’t happen”. Let’s see some photos of those bad boys.

Group Builder