Bought a bench..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gitmo234

Reaction score
Harbor Freight...the dollar general of hardware stores is having a sale on work benches. Someone in a facebook winemaking group posted about it, so I ran out and got it at 8 am. 5 hours later I have a "wine bench" to help with my lack of space.

It costed all of $79.99 and 5 hours of ikea-like assembly Its pretty darn sturdy.

Posting a link here but I have zero affiliation to the store, nor do I care if you buy it. If you're suspicious, then dont buy it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/48-in-workbench-with-light-60723.html

There's a coupon in the flyer to knock it down to $79.99

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 12.43.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 12.43.29 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 110
Be sure to treat or cover the top with something easy to clean that is non pourous, if it isnt already. Before you load it with carboys you wont want to move.

Make friends with folks in the big box home improvement stores and check into the slabs that come off the top of the pallets of laminate flooring. Sometimes those things can be bought IF you are nice to the employees. Even if they charge you $5.00 -$10.00 for one they are great. It's normally a piece of laminate flooring about 2 1/2 feet by 4 feet. You can cut to size and then seal the edges and other than a little stain from juice now and then, it should last a long long time. (These are rejected pieces of laminate flooring cut up for pallet toppers and they are perfectly fine.) I visit my local Lowe's store where I used to work and they sell them too me cheap. Make all sorts of nice surfaces from them. Not all are fully finished laminate but even the unfinished material works great as temporary work surfaces or for shelving surfaces. Just be careful with the finished pieces, things slide REAL well on them.

Be sure to treat or cover the top with something easy to clean that is non pourous, if it isnt already. Before you load it with carboys you wont want to move.

Its got a slick coat of black paint on it from the factory. Wouldnt exactly call it non-porous, just because i'm sure it was cheepy quick spray, but it cleans up well and I've tested it a bit today. Sprayed a section down with sanitizer for setting my hydrometer down real quick. no real issues. It also cleans up well.

The 60 in. 4 Drawer Hardwood Workbench is on my wish list.

Just finished mine today, The board is holding the stainless steel sheets together until the glue dries ( didn't have a divider. Cost me 2 sheets of 3/4 ply and 5 drawer slides. Everything else was leftovers from jobs. It's not elegant but an extremely functional space.

Attachments

• Work Bench.jpg
    Work Bench.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 78
That's an excellent workspace @mainshipfred , looks great. @sour_grapes I've seen those. They are hilarious and accurate. No way I'd ever get much out of that place except something like this. I woke up thinking about getting some kind of bench or solution and first thing I saw when I opened my laptop was a post about it. So far I'm 100% happy.

Just finished mine today, The board is holding the stainless steel sheets together until the glue dries ( didn't have a divider. Cost me 2 sheets of 3/4 ply and 5 drawer slides. Everything else was leftovers from jobs. It's not elegant but an extremely functional space.

I likey, Fred!

A comfortable work space is so valuable. ! I’m putting a lot of thought into how to configure my setup since we just bought a new place.
But before I tackle that project I’m currently setting my my REAL work space in the garage- equally valuable, if not more. After all I need a work area while building my wine area.
Have a solid workbench/shelving area existing and I am enlarging/customizing to my needs. As well as shopping for all the fun toys to go along- vice/bench grinder/organizers/new hoses for my inherited 30gal compressor- will be my “home shop” and I love it.
Actually stopped by hazard fraught yesterday for a bench grinder. That 4’ workbench seems perfect if secured to the wall @gitmo234. The 5’ wood bench @bkisel? Take it off your wishlist. No good. Almost as janky as the bench grinders.

Mainly because of the drawers. Store model drawers were falling apart. Bottoms are 1/4” compressed cardboard. I don’t know. Table itself seems sturdy enough. Especially if reinforced yourself with proper fasteners and brackets. Carboys ain’t light!
Hopefully your in-store model assembler is better than mine. IMG_0494.jpg

Same here when I went. I read reviews of the stuff prior and they all said to ignore the in-store assembled display. They were right. Looked like they hired hellen keller to assemble it

Most of my winemaking bench I built myself. A few 2X4's and some cheap countertop from the big box store. Cleanup with a wet rag and everything fastened to the wall. If i remember right, got a a bit expensive before I was done, but the benchs will still be there when I am gone. Arne.

Thirty years ago, the aircraft manufacturing place I worked at was throwing out two eight foot work benches. I asked for them and today they are still the sturdiest thing in my shop. They wanted to discard them because the foot of the legs had been banged around and curled up. the tops had some holes where people had drilled into the 2" thick tops. I still use them just like they are.
At Christmas, my wife bought me one of those just like you have listed, but I still haven't managed to get around to assembly. I think she paid the 79.99 price for it.
The one in the store was assembled well and seemed to be useable. I always line any drawer with an ethrafoam sheet and sink a hot tool into it to give the tool a perfect place to reside. Just remember to put a little release agent like WD-40 on the tool after heating and place where you definitely want it. Don't get burned.

Still a work in progress. I tapped directly into the hot waterline, built a little removeable carrier for a bottle and tubing washer which all have quick disconnects as does a 10' section of hose and nozzle. Can interchange anything in a mattter of seconds. Also put the clear bar top coating on the counter.

Attachments

• Sink and Counter.jpg
    Sink and Counter.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 62
  • Sink.jpg
    Sink.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Back