Bought a bench..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an antique concrete double basin wash sink for the taking. Weighs about 200 lbs and needs the iron drain fitting replaced. :)

Even has a built in washboard. Removed it because the drain fitting was leaking and the way it was installed in the basement, water could back up into it from the house drains. Wife thinks it could be fixed and used.... I'll attach a photo tomorrow for entertainment purposes.

I really like this one. Hoping to get some walls framed and plumbing roughed in for the winery this spring. If so, I'll then set up a sink and counter.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mustee-40-...ng-Composite-Utility-Tub-with-Drain/999926302

As a retired Lowe's employee it pains me to say - DON'T buy that sink! Composite Materials will stain, scratch etc and in a few short years look pretty nasty. Safer and better investment in a stainless steel sink. I've learned that lesson the hard way. Our utility room sink looks just plain nasty now after 12 years. And it has been that way for about 8 years. By the way I cleaned 'extra well' just for this photo. It's amazing what sticks to man made material. And yes that is a green paint stain left of the drain. Left a brush laying there with latex paint for about 30 mins. Stains get into scratches and get set and scrubbing just creates more scratches for stuff to get into. I would replace in heartbeat if I could find a suitable deep single well stainless steel sink to replace it. This is not the sink where I do my wine making work. That's up at the other house in a porcelain kitchen sink and I bottle wash in a composite sink in the basement. (That sink replaced the concrete sink - Picture of the concrete sink later today)

While I know that's a freestanding unit, you would likely be unhappy with the sink within a couple of years, stains are virtually impossible to get rid of.

Attachments

• Utility sink.JPG
    Utility sink.JPG
    670.1 KB · Views: 16
As a retired Lowe's employee it pains me to say - DON'T buy that sink! Composite Materials will stain, scratch etc and in a few short years look pretty nasty. Safer and better investment in a stainless steel sink. I've learned that lesson the hard way. Our utility room sink looks just plain nasty now after 12 years. And it has been that way for about 8 years. By the way I cleaned 'extra well' just for this photo. It's amazing what sticks to man made material. And yes that is a green paint stain left of the drain. Left a brush laying there with latex paint for about 30 mins. Stains get into scratches and get set and scrubbing just creates more scratches for stuff to get into. I would replace in heartbeat if I could find a suitable deep single well stainless steel sink to replace it. This is not the sink where I do my wine making work. That's up at the other house in a porcelain kitchen sink and I bottle wash in a composite sink in the basement. (That sink replaced the concrete sink - Picture of the concrete sink later today)

While I know that's a freestanding unit, you would likely be unhappy with the sink within a couple of years, stains are virtually impossible to get rid of.

Mine is only a few years old and like you I cleaned it real good before the picture. Even though I'm able to get it somewhat clean it is a real pain.

Anyone ever dealt with this company? their prices for stainless steel sinks looks pretty good. Don't know about shipping but there are some nice sinks there with built in sideboard/drain racks as well as add on drain racks. Still drooling over a couple of them. Not all that bad on price for some, but then you get to the upper end ones Triple basin with dual drain racks....

https://www.katom.com/cat/sinks-faucets-accessories.html

It is really convenient, eventually I'll find a cheap really deep stainless steel sink to replace the plastic. But for now it's just fine.

Well this is timely. Just yesterday afternoon I was following up on a craigslist ad. I’ve been looking for a stainless commercial style 1-2 bay sink/drain board for my wine area.
Only a few out of many listings are within my criteria- even with customizing. Yesterday I was at an antique warehouse in Northern Liberties section of philly. They had 2 dozen commercial sinks of all sizes. Most from the 60’s. I may end up getting a 3 bay, clean her up proper and cover a bay for prep/drain. And install a pull-down spray faucet.
I need to go back when I have more time to dig through since most were buried. I’m in talks with a few different listings. I wanted this 11’ big boy but was sold already.IMG_0555.jpg

Last edited:
First off, If you don't call me when you are ready to start building your room I'll be very upset. Also I agree 100% with Scooter, look for a stainless steel sink if you have time.

Careful what you wish for, Fred. :D I'm about ready to get started, once we get the front yard back to a somewhat normal state. Still waiting on word from the county.

What I'd really like to find is an old restaurant stainless table with built in sink, but I don't see many. Maybe my Craigslist search criteria are off.

Careful what you wish for, Fred. :D I'm about ready to get started, once we get the front yard back to a somewhat normal state. Still waiting on word from the county.

What I'd really like to find is an old restaurant stainless table with built in sink, but I don't see many. Maybe my Craigslist search criteria are off.

I checked myself and there are none as of now. I am serious about giving you a hand, loan you tools, fab in my shop, whatever you need.

I really like this one. Hoping to get some walls framed and plumbing roughed in for the winery this spring. If so, I'll then set up a sink and counter.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mustee-40-...ng-Composite-Utility-Tub-with-Drain/999926302

If you decide to go with this sink and I did, mine is about 4 years old and not terrible looking at all, maybe after 12 or 14 years, I'll feel different. I remove labels in it regularly, which involves filling with bottles, oxy clean, sit for a bit, so that probably helps. As I recall, I found it for the best price at a Menards, if that is a choice for you. I think it was something much closer to $100.

Well this is timely. Just yesterday afternoon I was following up on a craigslist ad. I’ve been looking for a stainless commercial style 1-2 bay sink/drain board for my wine area.
Only a few out of many listings are within my criteria- even with customizing. Yesterday I was at an antique warehouse in Northern Liberties section of philly. They had 2 dozen commercial sinks of all sizes. Most from the 60’s. I may end up getting a 3 bay, clean her up proper and cover a bay for prep/drain. And install a pull-down spray faucet.
I need to go back when I have more time to dig through since most were buried. I’m in talks with a few different listings. I wanted this 11’ big boy but was sold already. View attachment 46881View attachment 46882View attachment 46883

That looks perfect if you have the space. In a 3 basin like that why not look for some stainless steel expanded metal to fit over one bay as a drain rack. That way you can lift it out and yet still see through to whatever is beneath the drainer.

The composite materials are fine for some uses but for utility sinks or places where a variety of chemicals will be in contact, you never know for certain what will happen. And scratches will happen with each one becoming a hiding place for stains and bacteria. Frequent sanitizing will help but stainless steel is just worth the investment. MUCH easier to clean.

This is my upstairs work area - nice basically having a kitchen to use. The basement sink area works for label and bottle cleaning. And the old sink waiting to be rolled up the basement ramp and 'disposed of' retired

Attachments

• KIMG0639.JPG
    KIMG0639.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • KIMG0642.JPG
    KIMG0642.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • KIMG0641.JPG
    KIMG0641.JPG
    678.8 KB · Views: 10
I checked myself and there are none as of now. I am serious about giving you a hand, loan you tools, fab in my shop, whatever you need.

Maybe after Easter you can stop by. I'd like to pick your brain and we can do some sampling simultaneously. You can certainly stop by before then, I just won't be able to join you in the sampling.

I know a few of you are near Harrisburg. They do a monthly “restaurant equipment” online auction. Pickup in town. I looked through and there is some ridiculous deals. Lots of relevant equipment too. Between that and other local on-site auction or liquidation sales on craigslist you can’t do better. Just time consuming to find em and stay on top of it.
http://www.restaurantauctioncompany.com/
Here’s a screenshot of one IMG_0562.jpg

Back