Bought 5 watermelons today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
5 for $20, now I know why. They probably were picked in Florida back in March. Is there anything that smell worse than a rotten watermelon, I found out there is, it's rotten watermelon juice spilled on the front of your britches, you can't get away from it. These watermelons were over ripe, some of the seeds has runners 6 inches long with blooms on em. The other 4 smelled ok, but were over ripe. I have 9 one gallon bags in the freezer, plan on useing em this winter so I don't have to resort to making horse radish wine.

Semper Fi

I bought a couple watermelons today... Costco has them on sale for $5 each. Mine were great! You might want to check it out

You need to use fresh seeded watermelons and work quick. They go bad fast.
Mine will be ready to rack soon.
looks great and still has it's color

Steve, are you telling me to make the wine now? Can I keep em frozen till winter and make the wine then?

Semper Fi

No if the melons are frozen you can make it anytime. You mentioned that the melons were bad. Don't make wine from bad melons.

Last year I missed the opportunity to buy the seeded melons. I was so $;@&"? /;!!(- I made sure I got them this year.

Had one rotten melon, the rest were good. They smelled okay, but they wern't the kind you like for eating, too ripe.

Semper Fi

If it is not prime for eating, I wouldn't waste my time making wine with it either. Don't we like to pick fruit in it's prime and full of great flavor for making wine?

Okay, I'll go to cosco tomorrow and get a couple of good one. I think I'll keep to old one, just in case I get bored this winter. Thanks for the advice, it sounds like good advice.

Semper Fi

Hey steve, you mentioned to get the seeded water melons? is there any reason not to use the seedless ones?

Watermelons with seeds have a lot more flavor to them. The seedless are more bland. When I say seeded Iean with the black and white seeds. The center is full of flavor.

Watermelon is mostly water so you need all the flavor you can get.

Used over ripe melons last year in a pinch. Nasty taste that is worse than the smell you talk about. If you try to make the wine keep it far away from any carpeting. you will never get it out.

Latest posts

Back