Bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineYooper

Reaction score
I am getting ready to bottle my first batch of blackberry which was started Aug 09. The bottles are clean and waiting but I have a question about adding more KMS to the batch before bottling. I had added 5 campden tabs in February and a 1/4 tsp on April 8 and am wondering if I should add again and let sit for the 24 hrs before bottling. Would I be best to add on the side of caution to avoid spoilage? I know its not the three month interval between additions but don't think this will hurt. This is a five gal batch. I did do some reading on this forum before asking this but I still have that lingering doubt being new to the bottling aspect. Thanks for any input.

I would say no, there is no need. If you were going to continue to bulk age then you'd be adding again in a month or so. The wine has been sulfited recently and the alcohol content will also do its part to fend off any spoilage.

The bottling will ensure they're in an airtight atmosphere which will also protect it.

Happy bottling.

If you were going to try and age these in the bottle for a considerable amount of time I would say yes to a small addition, but if they will be consumed within a year or so then no, I would not.

If you sanitize your bottles with Sodium or Potassium Metabisulphite and don't rinse them with water - just let them drip free upside down on a bottle tree or something - the residual sulphite in the bottle will afford some protection and also give you some peace of mind.

As is is what I say as the five campden tablets was actually more then 1/4 tsp anyays. 3.5 campden tablets is usually the same as 1/4 tsp of meta and sometimes even more cause there are different strengths of the tablets.

Wade looking at your avatar makes me think I'm at the gas station trying to scan my GetGo card. HA HA HA HA :db

Back