Bottling without a corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
What is the method for corking without a corker? I would like to bottle some of my wine, but I can't spend money on a corker yet. Is there any other way that is suitable and cost effective to close up a wine bottle for a year or so?

Or, if you will be drinking it fast use Tastres Corks or some of the tapered ones. I only suggest this if you will drink it fast.

'Fast' meaning what? 6 months? A year?
I would say under a year as they are not designed for long term. They are very short compared to reg ones. Get a hand corker. You cant jury rig winemaking. If you cant afford one then wait till you do.

go collect as many screw top wine bottles as you can and clean them up.(can't believe I just said that) I can make no promises to how long this is good for but you said CHEAP

one of my friend recycles pop bottles, you can buy new caps for .05-.10$ ea...I tried it but it's not for me...but it's cheap!

I don't believe wine making is all that expensivie, the items that are a must aren't that expensive and a corker is one of them. You can pick up a hand corker for around $30.

get a starter kit for george when they go on sale for xmas.
Or a double levered hand corker for about $20

Many wine/beer supply stores will rent or lend out corkers, so you might try a local one if it's handy. This can get you started.

I think the cheapest way to go would be to do a Google search for "Portuguese Floor Corker". I found one for $50 doing that.Before you say that isn't cheap- it is. It is the least expensive way to go long term. Spend $20 now and replace later for a total cost of $70 or more. Buy now and be satisfied for life.

I think the cheapest way to go would be to do a Google search for "Portuguese Floor Corker". I found one for $50 doing that.Before you say that isn't cheap- it is. It is the least expensive way to go long term. Spend $20 now and replace later for a total cost of $70 or more. Buy now and be satisfied for life.
I like the taster cork idea. You can even reuse them. :b

When I bought my first starter kit I asked the man which things will I upgrade later. The first thing he said was the corker and I talked him into giving me the Port corker minus the price of the hand corker that came with the kit. Best thing I did.

well I have used mason jars in the past the only problem I see with them is that they are clear and light will degrade your wine. But when you fill them put you lid on them and stande them upside down for a day and the lids will seal. Someone else on here probable flogg me for this advice.

i use the same ....go get mason jars and pickle jars big ones ,,,the things work good ....

Latest posts

Back