Bottling wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flair

Junior
Reaction score
My dad recently passed away and I inherited 4 gallons from his last batch of red wine that he made. I would like to bottle the wine in such a way that it could be drinkable sometime in the future. I may or may not drink end up drinking it. I would at the very least like to undergo the process of bottling it as a way of finalizing the process.

What options are available to me? Is corking bottles the best for long term storage? Are there other alternatives?

I'm sorry for your loss. I would taste the wine to be sure it is viable. I would then add 50 ppm SO2 and cork. If you don't have the equipment, I would suggest you reach out to a local club. If you are in Northern CA, I will help you, drop me a PM.

I sure hope the wine is viable. The wine was made in the last 2 to 3 months

Thanks for the offer! I am located just outside of Toronto.

Sorry to read of your Dad recently dying. I hope you're successful in getting the wine bottled.

Sorry for the loss of your father. The wine is a great way to remember him. NorCal is right. I'd use the best corks I could find and seal with wax. That way if it doesn't get opened for years, it should be ok.

Dads wine is pretty young yet. Make sure it isn't gassy before you bottle it. If it hasn't lost most of its CO2 before you bottle it can wind up pushing the corks out. If you are going to sweeten it, make sure you stabilize it with sulfites and sorbate before you add sugar to sweeten, otherwise it can referment. Bottling dry, follow Norcal's advise. Arne.

Dads wine is pretty young yet. Make sure it isn't gassy before you bottle it. If it hasn't lost most of its CO2 before you bottle it can wind up pushing the corks out. If you are going to sweeten it, make sure you stabilize it with sulfites and sorbate before you add sugar to sweeten, otherwise it can referment. Bottling dry, follow Norcal's advise. Arne.

My dad's wine was extremely dry. I would like to keep it as close to the original as possible. Is adding SO2 required. I haven't done the wine with him in many years but I don't remember this step. The

How do I know if lost most of its CO2?

Right now it sits in the gallons and they are filled nearly to the top. They are basically filled to the start of the neck.

I'm definitely going to use the best corks I could afford.

My wine cellar gets really cold in the winter and gets a little warm in the summer months. Would it be worth my while to invest in a wine fridge to maintain a stable temp year-round?

If you add the sulfites before you bottle it will help the wine stay good as it ages. You don't have to, but the wine will probably not last as long while on the shelf. Take a taste of the wine and if it tastes fizzy it probably still has co2 in it. Try taking one of the gals. and letting it warm up. Sanatize something that will fit in the gal. jug and stir the wine up. If it fizzes it still has Co2 in it. To get it out you can just use time, stir it, rack it. It will not come out easily if the wine is too cold. Should be at least in the mid 70degrees or so. Arne.

Let's face it, all of us on this forum are shooting in the dark a little bit when it comes to advice on this wine. Nobody here can see it, smell it, or taste it.

If I were you, I would look around and get some expert help. Here is the link for the Amateur Winemakers of Ontario. Down the page you will see some email contacts for clubs in Toronto area. I'd be willing to bet that there are generous folks in these clubs who would be thrilled to help you get this wine properly aged and bottled as a tribute to your winemaker father.

Last edited:
I appreciate the link. I sent out a message to someone local to me and hopefully I'll get some first hand assistance.

Back