Bottling wand problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jet

Reaction score
I'm having bottling wand trouble. I've had one for a while but something caused it to stick open. No matter what I tried, I could not get the valve to close. I bought another one and it worked fine once. The second time (today) it's doing the same thing as the first. Is there some trick that I don't know about?

TIA

It sounds like you have some kind of sediment getting stuck in it to keep it open. Maybe a tartaric acid crystal (wine diamond).

I'll give the hot water soak a try.

This time I just finished without it (then mopped the floor). Next time I'll try and remember to test it with water first.

I still have my original and used it for many many years. I use the auto filler now though.

If these are not cleaned really well after using, some wine residue can build up and eventually cause the valve flap to stick or not close properly. When cleaning, rinse them backwards as well as with the normal flow to get both sides of the flap clean. I would suggest you try to flush it well backwards in addition to the suggested soak in hot water.

After the hot water soak, gentle prodding with a tooth pick and a second soak, one is holding well. The other is usable but still drips.

My son had an issue with his when he was bottleing beer, it became clogged and wouldn't stop the flow. He soaked it in warm water and now has 2 since he bought a second one.

Mine clogged on me Xmas day as I was preparing to bottle. I always clean and back clean mine. I tried extremely hot water to no avail. I ended up going out to the garage and put a pair of needle nose pliers on the tip and gently worked it loose.

Latest posts

Back