Bottling Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndd1

Reaction score
I have a strawberry-Banana Wine that has been back sweetened, had glycerine added to it and filtered. The Wine is crystal clear. I started the fermentation around 9-15-22. Can I go ahead and bottle now and it age properly in time or will it age for the worse as opposed to aging in a glass carboy with an airlock?

While it may look clear, many have found sediment weeks to months after bottling. I’m also surprised to hear you filtered it as well. Was it clear before filtering?
It has been filtered twice. Once after the bentonite did its thing for a week and now because I was planning on bottling it. It tastes pretty good but maybe a little sharp on the bite so this is why I added glycerine.

In my opinion that’s an aggressive filtering schedule. Sometimes aging lets the flavors meld and evolve. Since you’ve filtered twice and it’s clear, bottling won’t make it any worse. Keep good tasting notes, what it tasted like at first bottle opened, 3 months, etc. you may detect it gets better or doesn’t change. Your taste is all that matters.

I made both banana wine and strawberry wine. Never combined those two but what read in several places banana wine requires long aging 12-18 months before it is nit tarty anymore. I don’t think glycerin will change anything in this case. My banana wine started to be smoother at 9 months but I stopped tasting it until it reaches 18 months. Glycerin adds “artificial “ sweetness and more round taste. I bottled strawberry wine after 3 months ( without any clearing agent) but now it has a little bit if sediment at the bottom. More experienced members can correct me but this is my observation. I

Aging in the carboy helps for more uniformity as the flavors meld and change over time.

I started making wine in 2021 with multiple 1 gallon batches of fruit wines. Almost all were bottled as soon as they looked clear. I put away 1 bottle from most of them and by the one year mark, most of them had sediment in the bottle.

I now age all my wines (with the exceptions of quick drinker Skeeter Pee/Dragonblood wines) at least 3 to 6 months before bottling.

Aging in the carboy helps for more uniformity as the flavors meld and change over time.

I started making wine in 2021 with multiple 1 gallon batches of fruit wines. Almost all were bottled as soon as they looked clear. I put away 1 bottle from most of them and by the one year mark, most of them had sediment in the bottle.

I now age all my wines (with the exceptions of quick drinker Skeeter Pee/Dragonblood wines) at least 3 to 6 months before bottling.
I filtered the wine with a two stage fermtech filtration system prior to bottling. The strawberry-banana is in a 3 gallon carboy with airlock so I can let it age for another 3 months. The red wine was started from welchs grape juice and it is already bottled after filtering. My watermelon wine is in secondary and doesn't smell very good so I am not sure if the fruit spoiled or not.

Latest posts

Back