bottling question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishboy

Junior
Reaction score
I crushed chardonnay Aug 26th. It has been in carboys the entire time. I've racked it a couple of times and now have it outside in the cold for stabilization. Now I want to bring it back inside in a couple of weeks and rack it one more time after it warms to room temp, say 55 degrees, garage. When can this be bottled? I have added oak cubes about 4-5 weeks ago. It smells good and color is good. Clarity is coming along. I don't want to fine if possible. Maybe filter but I'll wait and see. So is there an indicator as to when to bottle?

Thanks

Your not going to like my answer but I think just about everyone here will have the same answer. Dont look to bottle for about a year or more adding 1/4 tsp of kmeta per 5 gal every 3 months after racking Yes you want to rack it every 3 months you'll be surprised how much sediment 6 months from now making sure it's topped off and the airlock has enough liquid in it. Waiting this long has many advantages and saves a lot of work... it will degas itself or have minimal gas. And you might not need to use any clearing agent plus it's easier to know how the taste is coming along by thieving a Lil taste. As far as the clearing agent goes I like to use it abou 6 mos in on my whites only if I feel it's needed. patience is the worst part of this hobby I suggest you start a kit wine while you wait for your other wine to mature. Warning: this hobby is addictive :b

Last edited:
Hi Fishboy,
I would regularly add kmeta every 3 months only if you have no other tools in your toolbox. If you have the ability to measure pH and SO2 levels, then better to use those measurements as your guide to adding kmeta.
I'm not sure I agree with Barbiek that you need to wait a year. There is nothing magic about a year. But certainly do not bottle it if it is cloudy.

I agree with barbiek. Let the wine go at least a year before bottling. I normally let the wine go 18-24 months.

Your patience will be rewarded.......

images
images

I crushed chardonnay Aug 26th. It has been in carboys the entire time. I've racked it a couple of times and now have it outside in the cold for stabilization. Now I want to bring it back inside in a couple of weeks and rack it one more time after it warms to room temp, say 55 degrees, garage. When can this be bottled? I have added oak cubes about 4-5 weeks ago. It smells good and color is good. Clarity is coming along. I don't want to fine if possible. Maybe filter but I'll wait and see. So is there an indicator as to when to bottle?

Thanks

Unless you want the diamonds to come back, rack it when you first bring it in when cold. As for time, with chard I think it depends on what you are going for. Ok, ok, that is true for anything:(. If you want a floral non-oak no Malo style then bottling now or soon would support it. If you want a complex, buttery, oaky one, then a year now or in the bottle would be my plan.

i began waiting long times to bottle, clear as colored spring water, then a few said naw not so long so i took a batch of red and a batch of white, i fined among other quick fixes then put in racks and marked from other wines no need 8 months latter was easy to tell all you had to do was look at he line of sediment in the bottle then pour into a stainless glass and not see the bottom of my glass, others smarter then me may make quick work i don't know and don't care because you have to wait long amount of time for wine to mature to a fine taste, so i am with these that say one year to 18 months, shoot my pear gets 2 years, so my advice is suit yourself, experiment but suit your self, time is a very, very important thing indeed, buy suit yourself,,
Dawg

Your not going to like my answer but I think just about everyone here will have the same answer. Dont look to bottle for about a year or more adding 1/4 tsp of kmeta per 5 gal every 3 months after racking Yes you want to rack it every 3 months you'll be surprised how much sediment 6 months from now making sure it's topped off and the airlock has enough liquid in it. Waiting this long has many advantages and saves a lot of work... it will degas itself or have minimal gas. And you might not need to use any clearing agent plus it's easier to know how the taste is coming along by thieving a Lil taste. As far as the clearing agent goes I like to use it abou 6 mos in on my whites only if I feel it's needed. patience is the worst part of this hobby I suggest you start a kit wine while you wait for your other wine to mature. Warning: this hobby is addictive :b

Latest posts

Back