Bottling my First Kit Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinman

Junior
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to bottle my first kit (Vintners Reserve Cab) on Jan 4th and i'm wondering how long i should keep the newly filled bottles upright.

The instructions say 3 days, but I was told at the local wine making store that they should stand for a couple of months.

Based upon the vast experience of our users here, what's the right option?

Vinman, I don't ever keep mine up more than three days unless if I am away and can't shelve them. If you're using a synthetic cork you can put them away almost immediately, but I still wait a few days.

I have never heard of anything more then 3 days and a few months is ridiculous. I think he was thinking of how long it should be before you open 1 of those bottles. Synethetics corks do not have to be layed down as they will not dry up due to their make up. I myself use 3 days.

Vinman
I have made kits from Vineco, RJ Spagnols, and Wine Expert, and they all vary in the instructions as to how long to leave the bottles upright vineco states 1 to 2 days, rj spagnols states 1 day, and wine expert states 3 days, I have turned them over on there side in 1 day, and have not had any problems, but if you have time to let them stand for 2 to 3 days I would do that just to be safe.

3 months? No way.
Once mine are corked I keep them upright 24 hours. Then I turn them upside down in the case and bring them down to the rest of my full cases (100+) in my wine cellar.

Tom,

You are a brewing mad man, you have 100+ cases and still brewing away??

Tom,

You are a brewing mad man, you have 100+ cases and still brewing away??

YEP!,
Think about it. "We" drink about 3 botles a day PLUS what I bring to my monthly wine club meeting. I also "donate" for local charities. Adds up quick. BTW I have at least 450 on my wine racks..
OBSESSED?
I am long past that.

Tom,

Do you leave them upside down until you drink them? I suppose that makes as much sense as on there side.

Darren

YEP!,
Think about it. "We" drink about 3 botles a day PLUS what I bring to my monthly wine club meeting. I also "donate" for local charities. Adds up quick. BTW I have at least 450 on my wine racks..
OBSESSED?
I am long past that.

I might be there one day, I have a total of 31 gallons in various stages right now. None really ready to drink, but I will bottle my MM Summer Breeze Black Cherry Shiraz kit in about 2 weeks. After racking again, I kept a little sample and I must say it wasn't to bad. Plus my Apfelwein, I racked to a 3 gal and 2 - 1 gal. I cheated a little so we could have some for christmas and new years. I added a little concentrate and sweetner to the 1 gallon jugs. Very drinkable indeed.

yeah really, you have quite a variety there as well Tom! Doing my first red now. i look fwd to having a good stock on my shelves of home brewed wine if it's good which i expect it to be. will do a chardonnay, a chianti and a high end red in the future are my plans. 3 bottles a day you drink? that's quite a bit! i thought one was a lot. :h

Yea well its not just me we have 3 adults that like wine

Latest posts

Back