Bottling in glass juice bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bad. I shouldn't have mentioned my grandmother making wine in the same conversation with botulism. The canning jars I'm pretty sure were vegetables and fruits. There are still some jars with what looks like small round fruit in them. Some of the liquid stuff may be soup stock of some sort...I just mentioned the wine part as there might be a surprise in one of the jars. Who knows? :)

The combination of acidity, alcohol, and the delicate flavors of wine - just don't seem to mix with using a metal lid and a seal that might degrade in prolonged contact with the first two. Anything that comes off that metal or that rubber sealing material is going to be in your wine. Wine bottles are not that hard to come by that I need to resort to canning jars or other bottles.

We aren't talking about moonshine and it's 'delicate' flavor, we are talking about wines that are a bit more subtly flavored.

Last edited:
I suggest recycle the juice bottles and put aged wine in wine bottles with corks. Too much time and effort has gone into the wine to chance with juice bottles.

Well, I agree...wine seems proper in a corked wine bottle laying in an incline rack in a cool grotto in the southlands of France. But that wasn't the gest of the OP's post. I think it was more along the lines of making use of what something already on hand. I've got no argument that a properly corked wine bottle is better.

Back