Bottling from the carboy ...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dawg, my SG reading tonight (3 days from bottling) was 1.000!! I made juice!! IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO?!
what was your starting SG? AND that 3 days is just a number the kit maker uses to sell more kits, please tell me about your ferment, added sugar, nutrients, energizer, so on so forth, please give me some details, i'll read your entire thread right know,
Dawg

what was your starting SG? AND that 3 days is just a number the kit maker uses to sell more kits, please tell me about your ferment, added sugar, nutrients, energizer, so on so forth, please give me some details, i'll read your entire thread right know,
Dawg
I don't even have that info ... not specifically. I followed the directions on my kit COMPLETELY. To the point where if I needed clarification, I called the store that sold the kit to me! I'm a very thorough person, I did not miss a step!

Dawg
You know, I make bread, and I don't remember it ever foaming like yeast would make bread do ...

I don't even have that info ... not specifically. I followed the directions on my kit COMPLETELY. To the point where if I needed clarification, I called the store that sold the kit to me! I'm a very thorough person, I did not miss a step!
well with out SG readings, and more info the best i can do is guess, did you add sugar at the start, more then likely you might have a very low ABV wine, so did you add sugar and if so how much?
Dawg

well with out SG readings, and more info the best i can do is guess, did you add sugar at the start, more then likely you might have a very low ABV wine, so did you add sugar and if so how much?
Dawg
There was nothing in the instructions about adding sugar ... I added the packets that they gave me with the kit. Here's a pic of my SG reading from tonight: wine reading July 29.jpg

It's hard to know if you are reading things correctly. If, it's really 1.000 it is fermented and done. It likely started near 1.100. Grape juice that has not fermented, is incredibly sweet-meaning not subtle, you would know. So if you're thinking maybe you can or can't detect sweetness, it fermented most of the way. I have recommended before that people use a precision hydrometer for the end of fermentation. I use a +5/-5 brix hydrometer and you should too. The inexpensive triple scale hydrometers are not very accurate or reliable.

You may have a stuck fermentation, which is a different problem.

Don't give up on this yet, because you may be just fine. You don't really taste alcohol in new wine.

Last edited:
There was nothing in the instructions about adding sugar ... I added the packets that they gave me with the kit. Here's a pic of my SG reading from tonight: View attachment 64149
so what you have seems to be a very low ABV wine, ask @sour-grapes if you can restart and referment, you'll need to add enough sugar to about 1.085/1.1.095, since you've added you end chemicals, you need someone more versed, i make primitive country sweet wines, so i am not much help, on this topic
Dawg

It's hard to know if you are reading things correctly. If, it's really 1.000 it is fermented and done. It likely started near 1.100. Grape juice that has not fermented, is incredibly sweet-meaning not subtle, you would know. So if you're thinking maybe you can or can't detect sweetness, it fermented. I have recommended before that people use a precision hydrometer for the end of fermentation. I use a +5/-5 brix hydrometer and you should too. The inexpensive triple scale hydrometers are not very accurate or reliable.

Don't give up on this yet, because you may be just fine. You don't really taste alcohol in new wine.
you uh got a link to the hydrometer you're talking about, or web site?
Dawg

so what you have seems to be a very low ABV wine, ask @sour-grapes if you can restart and referment, you'll need to add enough sugar to about 1.085/1.1.095, since you've added you end chemicals, you need someone more versed, i make primitive country sweet wines, so i am not much help, on this topic
Dawg
Wow. That sounds so complicated, but I'm on it! Thank you, Dawg!

It's hard to know if you are reading things correctly. If, it's really 1.000 it is fermented and done. It likely started near 1.100. Grape juice that has not fermented, is incredibly sweet-meaning not subtle, you would know. So if you're thinking maybe you can or can't detect sweetness, it fermented. I have recommended before that people use a precision hydrometer for the end of fermentation. I use a +5/-5 brix hydrometer and you should too. The inexpensive triple scale hydrometers are not very accurate or reliable.

I'm posting a pic of my reading tonight. Thank you for thwine reading July 29.jpgis. I use the hydrometre that came with the whole shebang that I bought--it all came in one purchase, a local store.

Susie, did you taste it? As pointed out, an SG reading of 1.000 doesn't say much by itself.
1) did it look frothy at all on top the liquid while fermenting?
2) is there any visible, cream coloured sediment at bottom of carboy?
3) does it smell like plain juice?

Yeah, turns out I didn't make wine. I made juice. 😢
* juice (no alcohol) can be drank as juice but needs to be refrigerated since it isn’t stable. It is overly sweet
* a stuck fermentation will have alcohol so some stability, but can taste overly sweet. I hope this is what you have. It will have made foam and white lees that settled to thebotton and released CO2 through the air lock
* occasionally folks will overwhelm the preservative in a kit, I hope you had some fermentation already

EDIT: @SusieMo is this the wine in thread called “Disaster” ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back