Bottling force carb'ed wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman_ii

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I am going to start out with a disclaimer, what I am suggesting is going to be controversial, so if your sole purpose is to tell anyone not using traditional methods that they are being an idiot, Please just move on... HOWEVER, constructive thoughts and work-arounds would be GREATLY appreciated!

Conditions:
1. I am going to be making a Muscat, and I would like to bottle a sparkling version, yes, I know beer bottles, but they don't have the same presentation as wine bottles do... and besides, do you get micro-oxydation through a beer bottle cap? Not sure.
2. The wine WILL be stabilized, the only carbonation in the bottle will be the forced carbonation I PUT in the bottle.
3. Champaign bottles and corks are a royal pain in the butt, besides, my floor corker does not support using mushroom shaped corks
4. As an Engineer, I understand the risk of pressure blowing a bottle or cork, but I ALSO understand that a forced carb'ed sparkling wine is not under NEARLY as much pressure as a Champaign or other bottle conditioned wine.

A. - All of this said, has ANYONE purposefully bottled a MILDLY sparkling wine in regular wine bottles?
B. - If so, how many volumes of CO2 did you safely use?
C. - A regular wine bottle has very little lip for attaching a wire cage... will a shrink wrap give it just the little bit extra "traction" it needs to keep the corks in (given the "relatively" low pressures compared to champagne type bottle conditioned sparkling wines?
D. - With still wines, a natural cork needs to sit upright for a couple of days to seat, if I do this, should I use a nomocork which will seat immediately so as not to lose carbonation?

Check with glass wine bottle vendors -- standard wine bottles are not pressure rated. Sure, they can withstand some pressure, but are not designed to be filled under any pressure. There is no way to determine how much pressure a non-rated bottle can withstand, especially if it gets hot or is strongly agitated. The reason folks say to not sparkle wine in regular bottles is because it's a dangerous idea.

I checked several wine bottle manufacturers -- champagne bottles are specifically noted as pressure rated.

https://www.kaufmancontainer.com/187-ml-clear-glass-champagne-bottles/
Most champagne bottles accept a crown cap, as that is part of the Méthode Champenoise. If the presentation bothers you, you can also buy plastic mushroom corks, and wiring them down is recommended.

I've done both (crown caps and mushroom corks) and prefer the crown caps. Put a capsule over it and very few would spot the difference.

I've never carbonated wine but have done this with beer many times. I can't answer your questions but can tell you I use oxygen absorbing crown caps for my beer and have some bottles nearly 9 years old that are still good, not the same as when I bottled but still tasty.
I have bottled some white wines in beer bottles and used these same caps, that was 4 years ago and when I open them they look just like they did when bottled, no browning or other signs of oxidizing.
Not sure if you intend to try to force carbonate in the bottle and not sure how one would do that, I force carbonate my beers in kegs then bottle from that

OK, I am going to start out with a disclaimer, what I am suggesting is going to be controversial, so if your sole purpose is to tell anyone not using traditional methods that they are being an idiot, Please just move on... HOWEVER, constructive thoughts and work-arounds would be GREATLY appreciated!

Conditions:
1. I am going to be making a Muscat, and I would like to bottle a sparkling version, yes, I know beer bottles, but they don't have the same presentation as wine bottles do... and besides, do you get micro-oxydation through a beer bottle cap? Not sure.
2. The wine WILL be stabilized, the only carbonation in the bottle will be the forced carbonation I PUT in the bottle.
3. Champaign bottles and corks are a royal pain in the butt, besides, my floor corker does not support using mushroom shaped corks
4. As an Engineer, I understand the risk of pressure blowing a bottle or cork, but I ALSO understand that a forced carb'ed sparkling wine is not under NEARLY as much pressure as a Champaign or other bottle conditioned wine.

A. - All of this said, has ANYONE purposefully bottled a MILDLY sparkling wine in regular wine bottles?
C. - A regular wine bottle has very little lip for attaching a wire cage... will a shrink wrap give it just the little bit extra "traction" it needs to keep the corks in (given the "relatively" low pressures compared to champagne type bottle conditioned sparkling wines?
D. - With still wines, a natural cork needs to sit upright for a couple of days to seat, if I do this, should I use a nomocork which will seat immediately so as not to lose carbonation?
I use swing-top bottles for my naturally carb'd hard ciders. (grolsch style...though I've purchased larger 1L bottles too) I'm hoping to try and carb up some of my Chardonnay that is bulk aging and plan to use these bottles.

Cheers & Good Luck!

I make a sparkling skeeter pee that I bottle in swing top bottles, a few of my meads get bottled in Grolsch bottles. No issues

I've done sparkling skeeter pee but did it on tap in a keg ( I never bottled it). I would probably buy a tire valve like this: tire valve and install it into a drilled stopper that fits tightly in a wine bottle, wire it in to make sure it doesn't pop out, put on some eye protection and find the limits of a few of your bottles. After knowing this, I would see if that limit (or actually much less that that limit) was an acceptable level of carbonation. If so, bottle a few then handle with care - bumping the bottles together may yield unwanted results. I personally don't feel the reward is worth the risk but if you're not living on the edge, you may be just taking up space.;)

Conditions:

How'd this project work out for ya?

Latest posts

Back