Bottling for the first time...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you didn't do this! One tablet 550 mg is for a gallon. Check your paperwork on dosage to be sure if you are using 550 mg tablets.
Malvina

? there are 5 750 ml bottles to a gallon. a 550 mg tablet treats a gallon. If you have 550mg tablets you need 1 per gallon to achieve 75 ppm of free S02 assuming an average ph level.
Malvina

Also, when using Campden tablets you will want to wait a week to seven days, rack the wine, and then bottle. Most times Campden tablets, due to their compounding, will release a sediment.

Well if that is true then I would just use K meta. Why bother with another issue that is not necessary. 1/4 teaspoon of K meta will treat 5 gallons to give you 40ppm of So2 I have never used those tablets I could never really figure out why people do.
Malvina

To throw another variable into the fray, not all campden tablets are created equal.

I totally agree with Malvina. I also dissolve the meta in a few ounces of warm water before adding it to the wine. A lot of people have complained about the sediment from using tablets which is also fillers used in the tablets.

If you using them because you're only making one gallon batches, what I do is add 1/4 tsp of meta to 6 oz of watter and dissolve. Next just add 1 ounce of this solution to your gallon jug. This is assuming you do not have a gram scale and cannot measure your S02 in the wine.

Last edited:
I do something similar to Dan. I dissolve 2 teaspoons in 20oz of water. From this, I add 15ml per gallon. 15ml = 1 tablespoon. I use a large syringe.

And kmeta used immediately at bottling CAN create a haze and sediment. Have seen in happen first hand. Cannot remember what it was that was being bottled, but it did haze and that entire batch remained hazy. So now, nothing gets bottled for at least a week after being hit with k-meta/sorbate, etc. Rack if sediment is seen, then bottle.

And kmeta used immediately at bottling CAN create a haze and sediment. Have seen in happen first hand. Cannot remember what it was that was being bottled, but it did haze and that entire batch remained hazy. So now, nothing gets bottled for at least a week after being hit with k-meta/sorbate, etc. Rack if sediment is seen, then bottle.

In all the years of making wine I have never had a haze or a sediment from adding K meta to a white. Maybe it is the Sorbate you speak of. But k meta leaving a sediment is impossible. And the solution to rack is equally problematic. If you rack you lose the Free So2 so there is no point in adding it to lose it. You will get a gas release when first adding it but it is a temporary loss of clarity if any and there is nothing to rack off of in my experience. Waiting 24 hours to bottle after adding it is good practice.
Malvina

I should clarify. I am talking only about grape wine. I cannot speak about wines not made from grapes.

Don't do it. More than 50 ppm can be tasted, yeock.

Richard L :ft :b

Latest posts

Back