Bottling & Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsf77

Reaction score
I've had wine in some carboys for a while now. These are the same ones I've talked about a while back. I don't have any notes and I have been trying to figure out if it's ready to bottle. When I shake it I get some "mild" fizz out of it as in carbonation.The other day I did an experiment. I took some wine that I had bought from a winery some months ago. I shook it up and it fizzled 3 times more than mine plus it had a lot more carbonation release. So by comparison my thinking was mine is ready therefore I bottled. Is there a flaw in my method?

Thanks

Even if you shake a bottle with just water in it you will get a pop when you move your finger with that said i would taste it you can probably figure it out from that.....Mike

Agree with @Bubba1 , if it is fizzy to the taste then you would want to degas more. I've done the same with commercial wine and it made my degas efforts look pretty good.

I'm confused here... and it's probably because I don't know about the prior posts..

What's causing my confusion is why is there an issue with bottling, just because there's no notes?

I would think you have a general idea of how long it's been sitting.. and if it were me, I'd take a hydrometer reading, if I wasn't sure.. then depending on what I knew about it.. degas, let sit to possibly clear a bit more then bottle.

crabjoe, I'm gunshy (lol). My first bottling experience had me cleaning up a lot :) Once the bombs started going off I moved them to the shed and place the bottles in totes.

I use a variable speed hand drill and a paddle to de-gas my wine. Doesn’t matter if it is a couple of months or long term bulk aging, I still check it by Using a drill and plastic paddle. If I get a lot of gas coming out of solution, will de-gas twice with the paddle and drill (about 30 secs). Then I bottle.

Latest posts

Back