Mosti Mondiale Bottling Day For MM LaBodega Port!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, its been bulk aging now for right at one year so figured it was time to bottle this bad boy! Ended up with 8 gallons of fortified heaven on earth. OMG, is this stuff to die for good. I made a double batch (6 gallons) of this a year ago. I actually added the included oak in primary/secondary, It spent one month in a brand new Vadai, then after I added the 6 bottles of Brandy to bring it up to 19% ABV I added some Tancor Grand Cru to bring the tannin back up after the Brandy thinned them out, then just for fun, another 2 ounces of French Med+ toast oak beans for 2 months. Its amazing, thats all I can say. (81) 375 splits was a lot of work but sooooooo worth it in the end.

Easily the MOST expensive kit I've ever done when you factor in the cost of the (2) kits, the 6 bottles of Brandy, the bottles, especially the ice wine bottles, corks, labels. Speaking of ice wine bottles, they were a PITA!!!! Ordered 3 cases of 12 and 2 of the cases were 1/4" too tall to fit into the Port Floor Corker. Wouldn't fit noway, no how.......
smiley35.gif

One case fit just barely. Had to use my hand corker for those 2 cases that wouldn't fit. First time I have ever used my hand corker. That thing doesn't insert corks worth a SHAT! I used #9 x 1.75" for long term storage. These will be some great Xmas presents for some lucky people. Definitely commercial quality stuff all the way.
smiley32.gif

DSC03154.JPG

DSC03155.jpg

DSC03156.jpg

DSC03157.jpg

Very nice, another great job. Your cellar must be getting full.
V2 Bottle filler? If yes, how did it work on odd shape bottles?

Thats weird how they wouldnt fit in the Port corker. Ive done about 200 or so Bellissima bottles in mine. They must have changed something or each one maybe a little different. Mine is reaching its end of life and starting to give me problems. Now that I said that I realize there are 2 different models as I bought the replacement iris's for mine and the ones George sent me were way different. They were much smaller and after spending about 45 minutes taking it apart and cleanin g it all up and struggling to get it back together I found out that the new pieces were way smaller and wouldnt even touch a cork when fully compressed!!!
smiley7.gif

The ice wine bottles are taller than a normal bottle so no problem there at all. I found out that the regualr small splits work just fine by inserting the vacuvin and then angling the bottle on the side of the cut out. Perfect vacuum seal and the angle is not so severe that the volume is off.
Cranked out those 80 bottles in nothing flat! Labeling and shrink caps took me 2 days due to lack of interest!
smiley36.gif

rhoffart said:
Very nice, another great job. Your cellar must be getting full.
V2 Bottle filler? If yes, how did it work on odd shape bottles?

One case was definitely shorter by just enough to fit into the Port floor corker. The other two cases there was just no way, close but no cigar as they say. I could not believe how poorly the hand corker inserts corks. Its just ridiculous in comparison but it was my only alternative so to speak. They are in but not all the way (1/4" out) plus they have a huge dent in them that I hope will fill out but would not be surprised if it didn't.

Wade said:
Thats weird how they wouldnt fit in the Port corker. Ive done about 200 or so Bellissima bottles in mine. They must have changed something or each one maybe a little different. Mine is reaching its end of life and starting to give me problems. Now that I said that I realize there are 2 different models as I bought the replacement iris's for mine and the ones George sent me were way different. They were much smaller and after spending about 45 minutes taking it apart and cleanin g it all up and struggling to get it back together I found out that the new pieces were way smaller and wouldnt even touch a cork when fully compressed!!!
smiley7.gif

I know all to well about the "dent"! I used one of those corkers for about 1 1/2 years before buying this Port corker which Im sad to say is on its way out! :(

Glad to help. Mine is still sitting in the barrel. I raised the SG on this one after fermentation started. This batch will have less influence from the Brandy then my last one. I will keep ya posted on it.

Your batch was done the same as my last years.... (even the new barrel). It turned out amazing! Yours will be the bomb.

Mike, Are the ice wine bottles different from bellissima bottles? I have a bench corker. Its just like a floor corker only it sets on a countertop. It has a knob and lever on it when a bottle is inserted you just lift up on the lever, slide in a bottle and adjustment to bottle height is done. I used bellissima bottles before and they fit with room to spare. The knob just locks the adjustment slide for transportation.

BOB

I believe they are one in the same. I got these ice wine bottles from George about 6 mo ago. They have just been sitting waiting for the day to come. I never thought about pulling one out to see if it fit, just assumed it wouldn't be a problem....

fivebk said:
Mike, Are the ice wine bottles different from bellissima bottles? I have a bench corker. Its just like a floor corker only it sets on a countertop. It has a knob and lever on it when a bottle is inserted you just lift up on the lever, slide in a bottle and adjustment to bottle height is done. I used bellissima bottles before and they fit with room to spare. The knob just locks the adjustment slide for transportation.

BOB

Those are beautiful bottles and labels. I'm sure the wine is as well.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

Job well done, Mike!

I would like to make that port, myself. Thanks for the tip about the French oak beans. It's those little extra touches that can really make the difference.

Rich, we are talking about wine here and all you can think about is Mikes package!!!!! Thats just sick!!

Mike, I still use my old hand corker and still haven't ever bought a bench or floor type. The dent is in my opinion unavoidable. # 8 corks are usually to big for a hand corker and I normally use # 9's and then a quick drizzle of sealing wax for the long aging wines. It works great and have never had one spoil yet. Just drank a bottle of 2006 Blackberry that I treated this way and it tasted great. So if you have to bust out the ol' hand corker again give this a thought or three.

Pete

Latest posts

Back