Bottling by siphon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchilders

Taste Tester
Reaction score
Before I purchased my All In One Pump, I used this little beauty, a push value bottom filler that attaches to a standard siphon hose. It works great and very inexpensive. You can pick these up from most any supplier like this one form Midwest Supplies

Anyone else use these?

Before I purchased my All In One Pump, I used this little beauty, a push value bottom filler that attaches to a standard siphon hose. It works great and very inexpensive. You can pick these up from most any supplier like this one form Midwest Supplies

Anyone else use these?

Got to say that I did use one of these in my earlier days.

The problem with is that you need to drive the bottom of that filler all the way and against the inside bottom of the bottle. When I would remove the filler from the bottle (after filling), the level of the wine fell too low (the filler displaced too much wine) and needed to manually top up.

Got to say that I did use one of these in my earlier days.

The problem with is that you need to drive the bottom of that filler all the way and against the inside bottom of the bottle. When I would remove the filler from the bottle (after filling), the level of the wine fell too low (the filler displaced too much wine) and needed to manually top up.

I had the same problem with the bottle filler...but, I found I could kinda "feather" the little plunger tip against the bottle neck and dribble that last little bit of wine in to get to just the right volume. Bit of a PITA.

( I really want a All in one pump...I'm just waiting for the redhead to want some new toy first! Guess, I could just go out and clean, prep, and plant the garden and become the man of her dreams....nah, that ain't gonna happen!)

I'm with JohnT and Mismost !! We fought with the filler, almost knocked over bottles and said bad words at that thing!!! Now Thanks to @vacuumpumpman all you have to do is press a button on the release valve and move to the next bottle So much faster!! Wifey thinks AIO is one of the best tools for wine making that we have.

I had the same problem with the bottle filler...but, I found I could kinda "feather" the little plunger tip against the bottle neck and dribble that last little bit of wine in to get to just the right volume. Bit of a PITA.

( I really want a All in one pump...I'm just waiting for the redhead to want some new toy first! Guess, I could just go out and clean, prep, and plant the garden and become the man of her dreams....nah, that ain't gonna happen!)

.. or you could simply ask her after a nice "quality control" session :)

Guess I'm old fashioned, but I still rack my wine into one of my fermenters, they all have spigots on the bottom of them. Attach my hose to the spigot and bottling wand to the other end. Open the valve and fill the bottle into the neck and withdraw the wand, touching the tip lightly inside the neck to get to the exact level I want. 30 bottles in under 10 minutes, done deal.

I am still new at this hobby, but I have used this type of filler to fill a few 100s bottles. Just fill her to the top, either time it perfectly or let run over a bit, and pull the thing out…the level seems fine; no manual adjustment necessary….yes, there is a little run over (less then 1/2 a cup per 30 bottles) and I need to wipe the bottles down a bit after corking...

I used that same technique of angling the tip against the top inside to finish filling. It worked great but slow.

An enolmatic (and I am sure the AIO too) fills a bottle in about 4 or 5 seconds. Might not seem like a big difference, but it sure adds up when you have 300 or 500 liters to bottle.

Guess I'm old fashioned, but I still rack my wine into one of my fermenters, they all have spigots on the bottom of them. Attach my hose to the spigot and bottling wand to the other end. Open the valve and fill the bottle into the neck and withdraw the wand, touching the tip lightly inside the neck to get to the exact level I want. 30 bottles in under 10 minutes, done deal.

Exactly how I used to use the wand. I made the mistake once of having too long of a tube and let the wand hang to grab more bottles and the tip touched the bottom of the bottling bucket and lots about cup of wine before I noticed. :m

I use two different methods to bottle, depending on if my cellar rat (SWMBO) is helping or not. If it is just me, I mostly use my all-in-one pump to bottle. If she is helping, we have a Ferrari Automatic Bottle filler and use that. With the Ferrari, we start a siphon, drop it into a bottle, it stops flowing, when the bottle is full, shut-off siphon by pushing a button on the filler, move to next bottle, restart. continue. We sit in chairs, have a few glasses of wine, she fills, I cork.

With the all In One, i start with moving the carboy down to the floor, hook up the bottling stuff and let it do all the work. I sort of like the siphon way a bit better, but only because of the Automatic bottle filler, if I was using the push down bottling wand, I would always use the All in One.

We use the tip you are talking about. We also have an AIO. We love it as a pump. Haven't really tried bottling with it yet. We have great, simple, clean success with the tip. We fill all the way to the top and then with displacement it seems to be right at the level we want. Unless we are filling them a little too low? It just seems like the all in one pump wouldn't be as quick as the tip filler. Maybe we will try it for our next bottling.

We use the tip you are talking about. We also have an AIO. We love it as a pump. Haven't really tried bottling with it yet. We have great, simple, clean success with the tip. We fill all the way to the top and then with displacement it seems to be right at the level we want. Unless we are filling them a little too low? It just seems like the all in one pump wouldn't be as quick as the tip filler. Maybe we will try it for our next bottling.

Like I said the wand worked great but the AIO is much faster for me. I like the AIO for several reasons but mostly because I don't have to lift a carboy or pail up higher than the bottle and I can control the fill with one hand on the release value. Clean is easy, just pull some warm water through the lines followed by some SO2, takes less than 5 minutes.

Thanks for all the comments

I can attest to loving not having to lift carboys. Little different for me as I built a dedicated car boy table so there is never any lifting for me even if I don't use the pump to bottle. Around 4 feet tall with each row having a slight incline to help sediment fall to the front of the car boy for better racking. Although we did start brewing in 15.5 gallon kegs so we will need to use the AOI to bottle with that as man that bastard is heavy haha.

Pic of the table below.

carboys.jpg

Anyone else use these?

YUP!!! So it takes a little longer..... It's all for me so...... You can get each filled the same too;). May be a little messy at times, but what hobby isn't. BTW ,, I use a basic hand corker as well and have suffered no problems with that either. Keep on keeping on :db

An enolmatic (and I am sure the AIO too) fills a bottle in about 4 or 5 seconds. Might not seem like a big difference, but it sure adds up when you have 300 or 500 liters to bottle.

Yes they both are very close to bottling time according to my research - the economatic states -The fill rate is fast, allowing you to bottle up to 180 to 250 bottles per hour

The Allinonewinepump is 15 seconds per bottle - which equals to 240 bottles per hour.

I can attest to loving not having to lift carboys. Little different for me as I built a dedicated car boy table so there is never any lifting for me even if I don't use the pump to bottle. Around 4 feet tall with each row having a slight incline to help sediment fall to the front of the car boy for better racking. Although we did start brewing in 15.5 gallon kegs so we will need to use the AOI to bottle with that as man that bastard is heavy haha.

Pic of the table below.

Nice setup - Just rack it down to floor level then you can bottle on the counter top while standing - No more back aches the next morning !!

Latest posts

Back