bottling bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walnutgrove

Junior
Reaction score
I have a question about using a bottling bucket , I have always used carboys when I back sweeten , however I need more room and recently bought an 8 gallon bottling bucket. I would like to know if I rack from the carboy into the bottling bucket how long can I leave it in there before I bottle,also I have never used a bottling bucket in the past any info would be helpful

Hi walnutgrove and welcome. You ask how long you can leave your wine in the bottling bucket before you bottle. I would suggest that you only rack your wine into the bottling bucket when you are ready to bottle but if bottling takes you 30 minutes or an hour or so that is not really a problem. You don't, I think, want to rack into the bottling bucket only to return after a week's vacation.

I have a question about using a bottling bucket , I have always used carboys when I back sweeten , however I need more room and recently bought an 8 gallon bottling bucket. I would like to know if I rack from the carboy into the bottling bucket how long can I leave it in there before I bottle,also I have never used a bottling bucket in the past any info would be helpful

The above info is good, transfer into it when you are ready to go. As far as using it, it's pretty easy. Mine has a spigot on the bottom, the clear tubing slips right over the spigot, and a bottling wand is attached to the other end of the tubing. With the bucket of wine higher than your bottles, open the spigot to allow the wine into the tubing, the wand should stop the flow when the valve stem is not depressed. Insert the wand into the bottle, depressing the valve stem on the bottom of the bottle and allow it to fill. When it nears the top, stop the flow by raising the wand off of the bottom of the bottle, take it nearly all of the way out of the bottle and gentle tough the stem to the inside of the neck to allow a slight flow to fill your bottle to the desired height.

I used to use a bottle filler, but found the wand much faster...........

walnutgrove...I put the bucket on the kitchen counter right above the dishwasher. Open the dishwasher, pull up a chair, and bottle right over the washer door....it is a good place to stack bottles, catches drips, and self cleaning....works real good. I actually sit the floor corker right there....fill a bottle and place it on the corker with a cork in place....grab an empty and start filling it....reach around and pull the corker handle....remove corked bottle and place in the case....finish filling the bottle and repeat.

Sounds like a lot going on, but it is not ever a rush, just a nice steady pace.....I'm very comfortable doing it this way. Wine is seldom in the bucket for more than 45 minutes.

If I have a helper...I use my AIO pump to bottle and do not even have to rack into a bucket.

I'll almost always bottle from a bucket and do so right after filling the bucket from the carboy.

A pain for me is I have several cases of high punted bottles and the filling goes very slowly and awkwardly as I try to keep the stem pushed open while on the top of the punt. Down in the valley of the punt the valve just barely opens and the filling of the punted bottle goes agonizingly slow.

I'll almost always bottle from a bucket and do so right after filling the bucket from the carboy.

A pain for me is I have several cases of high punted bottles and the filling goes very slowly and awkwardly as I try to keep the stem pushed open while on the top of the punt. Down in the valley of the punt the valve just barely opens and the filling of the punted bottle goes agonizingly slow.

I "fixed" a bottling wand just to use for punted bottles by gluing a 3/4" long piece of brass rod to the bottom of the plunger...but my neighbor lady swipped it and won't give it back! They should just manufacture them with a longer plunger.

Hate punted bottles ....hard to fill...hard to clean too.

I "fixed" a bottling wand just to use for punted bottles by gluing a 3/4" long piece of brass rod to the bottom of the plunger...but my neighbor lady swipped it and won't give it back! They should just manufacture them with a longer plunger.

Thanks for your post as you've given me some "food for thought".

What I do like about the punted bottles is it appears like you're gifting more wine when presenting in punt vs. flat.
smilie.gif

so i'm going to guess that racking from the carboy into the bottling bucket and back sweeten and leave for a weak is not the best plan i am going to back sweeten some berry wine i have with some frozen berry concentrate so i need more space than my carboy will allow.....any ides?....also I have some finished rhubarb wine i have made that ended up in the 15%abv range and i would like to lower it to say 12 or 13% when i back sweeten any ideas on how to back sweeten and and more liquid to lower the abv without affecting the taste or a formula of say 1 gallon of liquid to 6 gallons will lower the abv by?......hopefully this makes sense to some one i was thinking white grape juice concentrate thanks

Two suggestions for punted bottles. First and foremost bottling using something life the all in one wine pump, you won't care if bottles are pointed or not and second, look into the ferrari auto bottler, that may not be the exact name, but it fits into the top of the bottle and shuts off when the bottle is full. Again, no cars about points bottles ($15-20).

For cleaning bottles, Steve makes a great pump that will clean any kind of smaltz of of any bottles. My wife loves it.

so i'm going to guess that racking from the carboy into the bottling bucket and back sweeten and leave for a weak is not the best plan i am going to back sweeten some berry wine i have with some frozen berry concentrate so i need more space than my carboy will allow.....any ides?....also I have some finished rhubarb wine i have made that ended up in the 15%abv range and i would like to lower it to say 12 or 13% when i back sweeten any ideas on how to back sweeten and and more liquid to lower the abv without affecting the taste or a formula of say 1 gallon of liquid to 6 gallons will lower the abv by?......hopefully this makes sense to some one i was thinking white grape juice concentrate thanks

You could rack off a bottle or more or less unsweetened, depending on what you are sweetening with.
Could blend it back in , in the bucket or keep as is.

Latest posts

Back