Bottling Bucket vs. Bottle Filler

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruggierm1

Reaction score
I have a spigot on my primary. I also have a Ferrari Bottle filler. I know this is probably a dumb question, but can't I just use the spigot to fill my bottles versus the bottle filler? Any help would be apppreciated. :r

Bottling from the spigot will splash the wine into the bottle and therefore introduce a lot of oxygen into the wine. Something you want to avoid with a finished wine.....

Using a filler will fill the bottles from the bottom up (as far as I know) and will therefore minimize oxygen exposure.

Luc

I have a spigot on my primary. I also have a Ferrari Bottle filler. I know this is probably a dumb question, but can't I just use the spigot to fill my bottles versus the bottle filler? Any help would be apppreciated. :r

I have used the spigot on my pail for yeeeeears without a problem. If your spigot is tapered like mine you can always add enough hose to go to the bottom of the bottle but I have never needed it. Just remember to tip you bottle a little when you fill it. Tip the bottle like a bartender tips a glass when pouring draft beer. You will get little or no splash.

Last edited:
I have used the spigot on my pail for yeeeeears without a problem. If your spigot is tapered like mine you can always add enough hose to go to the bottom but I have never needed it. Just remember to tip you bottle a little when you fill it. Tip the bottle like a bartender tips a glass when pouring draft beer. You will get little of no splash.

I'll try that. My spigot actually has a plastic tube attached to it that extends down into the bottle. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back