Bottling 1 gallon (process)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I feel somewhat foolish asking this, however I can not seem to reconcile this process in my head to my hearts content.

I am going to be bottling my 1st batch of 1 gallon of wine.
My typical process when bottling 6 gallons is to rack the carboy back into a fermenting bucket. The bucket has been fixed with a spicket which I use to bottle with one of those tipped bottling sticks!

The only issue I see with this is that it would require me to tip the bucket to get just 1 gallon out. Since the spicket is just below the 1 gallon mark.

Since I dont use a pump just looking for feedback on how people do this. Looking for tips to make my life easier.

Otherwise I may just rack into a 1 gallon glass jug and use the auto siphon/ with bottling stick.

:a1

Racked a few experimental 1 gallon batches today, and have bottled a few. I use tubing from my camelbak (my auto siphon and tubing are pretty large-bore, and don't fare well with such small quantities), plus the tubing is thin so you can squeeze it off with your finger, no need to clamp anything, sanitize 5 bottles, start a siphon with my mouth or a 60cc gastric syringe, and then fill bottles.

I'm sure it could be done with an auto siphon and bottling attachment like I do for 6 gallon batches, but I'm just lazy about washing/sanitizing and it's easier for me to only have to clean a small piece of tubing when I'm only yielding a couple of bottles.

And if I had a small sized auto siphon/racking cane, it might change my quick and dirty way of doing things, but hey, it works.

I specifically went out and bought a small auto siphon, because I felt foolish using the big siphone on my 1 gallon jug. Not to mention it was sooooo much easier to clean the small siphon.

I like the idea of just going from jug to bottle. This may give me a chance to run it through a coffe filter, since I had some sparkalloid in the wine and I dont want to suck that stuff up and put it into a bottle!

If you have the small auto siphon, use it and your bottling attachment, or clearly jug to bottle with a coffee filter would work if you're careful and have a steady hand. I have butter fingers and it'd be too easy for a slip of the hand to cause a loss of a significant portion of a small batch.

If you have the small auto siphon, use it and your bottling attachment, or clearly jug to bottle with a coffee filter would work if you're careful and have a steady hand. I have butter fingers and it'd be too easy for a slip of the hand to cause a loss of a significant portion of a small batch.

I am luckly I have a little one who loves being "daddy's wine helper"
She helps me mix ingredients, stirr and checks ferm daily to make sure the bubble are still going.
When I rack she is beyond eager to hold the hose steady.
So I will see how it goes!

Prior to my AIO Vacuum pump I used a 1/4 inch plastic hose with a fuel cutoff valve. Once you have established wine flow you can use the inline cutoff valve (all plastic) to stop flow and change to a new bottle without losing prime. I still use it on small one gallon jobs because its quick efficient and an easy cleaning job.

Just rack directly into the bottles, why bother racking into a bucket first ???
Saves you a lot of hassle.

Luc

Luc said:
Just rack directly into the bottles, why bother racking into a bucket first ???
Saves you a lot of hassle.

Luc

Simple. To rack it off of the sediment. To make sure no sediment is present prior to bottling. Mistakes happen so you eliminate adverse variables!

Latest posts

Back