Bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DageonYar

Total NeW-B
Reaction score
Picked up a couple dozen used bottles from a bud at work, but there's a mix of greens and browns. Is there a difference in the bottles? I'm leaning towards no, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask :)

Yes, there is a differnce, some of them are Green and some of them are Brown! In all seriousness, If thats all you have then fine as Ive done that quite a bit when i first started but now I have such an abundance of these free bottles that I can almost always pull out 30 of almost exactly the same bottles and if not I find out how many Im short and call my transfer station(dump) and ask them to save me some more. I call them on Sat. morning and go down at 2:30 right before they close and they usually have about 120 bottles which I have to sort through and get rid of around 15 screw tops and then either take them all home or just pick out what I want and toss the rest and then throw the guy a few bottles of wine and he is delighted.

LOL !
Good answer Wade !! Now what is the difference in the bottle style?

Picture is worth a thousand words I guess lol

bottles.jpg

bottles.jpg

I have almost 20 cases of empties I got from a wine tasting, and like Wade says, when the time comes I can come up with enough to match.

Style only matters in the way you do your hair!:r

And in the long run, even if the bottles don't match, the true style comes in when it is finally tasted and you know it was hand crafted.

Not much more style to show than that, unless it turns out "undrinkable" because you messed something up.
:D

Troy

The first one is a green Bordeaux which usually houses wines like Merlots, Cabs etc. The second bottle is a Burgundy which is usually used for Pinot Noirs or Chardonnays. The third is kind of a stretched Burgundy called a hock and can be used for anything as its a specialty bottle and some commercial wineries use them just because they are differnt and stand out from the rest.

Very good Wade you passed!.. LOL
Any kind of a bottle that can get corked is gonna work. Like Troy said.
STYLE is for hair (if you have any). :h
Style is a kind of wine. It dont matter what "style" bottle you use as long as whats in it tastes good.
I like the Bordeaux style only because they stack better. :b

Speaking of stacking. I was going to start a new thread on this, but I may as well do it here.

I have quite a few loose bottles( without their original cardboard case) stacked in milk crates. Holds 20 or so, doesn't matter.

When it comes time to stack you bottles can they lay level on their sides or is it necessary for them to be at a slight angle toward the cork?

While I am on the subject...why do we see wines at the liquor store standing up, often times at temperatures none of us would agree with? If I was to buy one of these, add it to the cellar and let it set for a while, would it age, or would it be what it is because it was taken out of a "controlled" aging environment?

I am becoming obsessed!!!:d

Troy
:b

If you lay the bottles in a milk crate tilt the crates up in the front. This way the bottles will not slide out.
The wine stores:
The corks may be synthetic and do not need to be laying down. If not get one that is laying down. A good wine store will not have then upright.

Don't understand, don't we want to keep the liguid toward the corks. So do we want to raise the front of the crate or the rear?
Troy

OK but , clear bottles are for short term use. Light will effect the quality of reds. for long tern aging in bottles use darker bottles

Don't understand, don't we want to keep the liguid toward the corks. So do we want to raise the front of the crate or the rear?
Troy

If you store bottles in a milk crate raising the front up about 1" will prevent the bottles from sliding off. By raising it like that will still keep the cork wet. Reason you want the cork wet is to keep it from drying out. If you use synthetic corks then store them upright.

I heard 1/4" or less from the cork to the liquid. Does that sound about right?

And plus, once I raised my office chair a couple inches, and I slid right off, I should have been sitting on milk crates.
LOL

1/4" from the cork to the bottle is not enough room most of the time to properly get a cork in, typical ullage is about 3/4".

Latest posts

Back