Bottles broke in a million pieces?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently moved from Montana to Seattle and moved my cellar. I moved 84 cases of 750’s and 60 magnums. It all survived the move but I had a stack fall over as I was unloading the truck. All the bottles in the top three cases, in a stack of five, shattered upon impact. Shattered is not really an accurate description ~ more like became the powder of a million shards. I buy high quality bottles so this one has me stumped.

Anyone out there know the reason for the end result of the crash?

I don't know either. But it "sounds" like it was tempered glass. Applying pressure or impact to tempered glass in the right way can cause it to become a powder. Classic example is Prince Rupert's drop.

Oh the humanity! A tragic event - Perhaps the tempered glass explanation or a sympathetic detonation - once one shattered / exploded the forces spread and multiplied.

If it was tempered glass (I don't know why bottle makers would use that) It is a touchy product. I moved a shower door out of it's frame and is simply dragged across a piece of the aluminum shower frame - set up a harmonic vibration and in about 1/2 second I was left holding crumbles of glass and the entire thing just broke into pieces the size of green peas.

I don't know either. But it "sounds" like it was tempered glass. Applying pressure or impact to tempered glass in the right way can cause it to become a powder. Classic example is Prince Rupert's drop.

Interesting. Glass is fascinating

The bottles in question were probably produced during a process upset that prevented them from passing through the annealing oven. The annealing oven is what takes the bottles from the high production temperature to a cooler temperature slowly over a predetermined time. Unfortunately the bottles got packed and shipped, but should have been sent to the rework bin.

Back