Quantcast

Bottles broke in a million pieces?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently moved from Montana to Seattle and moved my cellar. I moved 84 cases of 750’s and 60 magnums. It all survived the move but I had a stack fall over as I was unloading the truck. All the bottles in the top three cases, in a stack of five, shattered upon impact. Shattered is not really an accurate description ~ more like became the powder of a million shards. I buy high quality bottles so this one has me stumped.

Anyone out there know the reason for the end result of the crash?

AkTom

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t. A moment of silence please.

balatonwine

The Verecund Vigneron
Reaction score
I don't know either. But it "sounds" like it was tempered glass. Applying pressure or impact to tempered glass in the right way can cause it to become a powder. Classic example is Prince Rupert's drop.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Oh the humanity! A tragic event - Perhaps the tempered glass explanation or a sympathetic detonation - once one shattered / exploded the forces spread and multiplied.

If it was tempered glass (I don't know why bottle makers would use that) It is a touchy product. I moved a shower door out of it's frame and is simply dragged across a piece of the aluminum shower frame - set up a harmonic vibration and in about 1/2 second I was left holding crumbles of glass and the entire thing just broke into pieces the size of green peas.

Brigitte

Reaction score
I don't know either. But it "sounds" like it was tempered glass. Applying pressure or impact to tempered glass in the right way can cause it to become a powder. Classic example is Prince Rupert's drop.

Interesting. Glass is fascinating

Jal5

Reaction score
We moved a tempered glass outdoor dining table years ago and it stuck one leg on the deck board. Shattered into tiny pieces.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
The bottles in question were probably produced during a process upset that prevented them from passing through the annealing oven. The annealing oven is what takes the bottles from the high production temperature to a cooler temperature slowly over a predetermined time. Unfortunately the bottles got packed and shipped, but should have been sent to the rework bin.

Latest posts