Bottled wine fizzy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crcarey

Reaction score
Hey all - I made some Chilean Carmenere in 2017. Was great when I bottled it (degassed and bottled with all in one wine pump) and have been drinking it and it has been pretty good. I had bottle about 4 months ago and tasted the same as it did the day I bottled it. Tonight I opened a bottle and it was fizzy and had a ruff taste to it. Tired 2 more bottles and the same thing. Anyone run into this in the past? Thoughts?

Could have been a little residual sugar that fermented, unlikely mlf or just trapped CO2.

Open a bottle. Empty 1/2 the bottle into an empty bottle. Put your thumb over the top and shake. Do that a few times on both bottles and you will rid your wine of CO2.

It's not home wine making until you have to MacGyver a solution to that kind of a problem. Decant, or do as NorCal suggests.

Taste a little when you open each bottle, before shaking/decanting. If the "fizz" evolves into a sparkle, beware of bottle bombs.

If it was dry at bottling, the fizz is likely coming from MLF activity. In the future, make sure MLF is done before bottling and/or make sure you use enough SO2 to keep bacteria at bay in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back