Quantcast

Bottled wine fizzy

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

crcarey

Reaction score
Hey all - I made some Chilean Carmenere in 2017. Was great when I bottled it (degassed and bottled with all in one wine pump) and have been drinking it and it has been pretty good. I had bottle about 4 months ago and tasted the same as it did the day I bottled it. Tonight I opened a bottle and it was fizzy and had a ruff taste to it. Tired 2 more bottles and the same thing. Anyone run into this in the past? Thoughts?

heatherd

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Try decanting to see if the fizz goes away. Might be CO2....

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could have been a little residual sugar that fermented, unlikely mlf or just trapped CO2.

Open a bottle. Empty 1/2 the bottle into an empty bottle. Put your thumb over the top and shake. Do that a few times on both bottles and you will rid your wine of CO2.

MJD

Reaction score
It's not home wine making until you have to MacGyver a solution to that kind of a problem. Decant, or do as NorCal suggests.

Taste a little when you open each bottle, before shaking/decanting. If the "fizz" evolves into a sparkle, beware of bottle bombs.

GreginND

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it was dry at bottling, the fizz is likely coming from MLF activity. In the future, make sure MLF is done before bottling and/or make sure you use enough SO2 to keep bacteria at bay in the bottle.

Latest posts