Vineco Bottled Two More Kits This Week - Wow!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmf2000

Reaction score
KenRidge Showcase German Gewurztraminer -

I had heard a lot about Gewurztraminer kits on several forums and so back in March I convinced the wife that we should give it a try. While she likes white wines, she doesn't like them overly sweet. For my tastes, a little on the sweeter side is okay. In total I let things go for additional 4 weeks over and above what the directions stated.

Of all the wines I have made so far this year, this is by far my favorite. It is not nearly as sweet as some wines that I have had but it nice balance for the two of us. It almost makes me not want to drink anything else. The big decision is whether to start another batch or try something else. I don't see this lasting long.

For all of the people that recommended this kit, Thanks you very much!

KenRidge - Australia, Riverland Region, Cabernet-Shiraz

Back in February, I was out with friends and gave this combo a try. I later went home to see if there was kit for it. Sure enough there was. Because I already have a lot of wine to drink, I knew I would not be in rush and in fact thought this would be a nice Christmas present by the time it aged in November/December.

This kit also got an additional month of aging before bottling.

While I know they say it will taste better with time, it really tastes good now! I'm not normally a red guy but it's incredibly drinkable in its current state. I wish my wine vocabulary was larger but there is a lot of fruit flavor and a smoothness that I wasn't expecting with such a young wine.

Mostly what this says to me is that it's worth investing in the higher end kits. For my taste, I would put this against almost any other wine I have purchased in the last few months. And the general consensus with my friends is the same.

I would interested to know about other people's experience with these two kits.

Tim

KenRidge Showcase German Gewurztraminer -

I had heard a lot about Gewurztraminer kits on several forums and so back in March I convinced the wife that we should give it a try. While she likes white wines, she doesn't like them overly sweet. For my tastes, a little on the sweeter side is okay. In total I let things go for additional 4 weeks over and above what the directions stated.

Of all the wines I have made so far this year, this is by far my favorite. It is not nearly as sweet as some wines that I have had but it nice balance for the two of us. It almost makes me not want to drink anything else. The big decision is whether to start another batch or try something else. I don't see this lasting long.

For all of the people that recommended this kit, Thanks you very much!

KenRidge - Australia, Riverland Region, Cabernet-Shiraz

Back in February, I was out with friends and gave this combo a try. I later went home to see if there was kit for it. Sure enough there was. Because I already have a lot of wine to drink, I knew I would not be in rush and in fact thought this would be a nice Christmas present by the time it aged in November/December.

This kit also got an additional month of aging before bottling.

While I know they say it will taste better with time, it really tastes good now! I'm not normally a red guy but it's incredibly drinkable in its current state. I wish my wine vocabulary was larger but there is a lot of fruit flavor and a smoothness that I wasn't expecting with such a young wine.

Mostly what this says to me is that it's worth investing in the higher end kits. For my taste, I would put this against almost any other wine I have purchased in the last few months. And the general consensus with my friends is the same.

I would interested to know about other people's experience with these two kits.

Tim

I don,t have any experience with the whites but i recently bottled 4 bottles of my Cab Shiraz from the founders series while i moved the remaining 5 gallons to a smaller carboy for bulk aging. I had a sample of this 3 month old wine last weekend and i was impressed.If i didn't have 200 bottles downstairs of wine that was aged more than this one i would be tempted to start drinking this one on a regular basis.

I also started a Kenridge Founders series Supertuscan about the same time and it is coming along nicely.I would not hesitate to recommend these wines to anyone.

Good to hear that!

I just got home with a Super Tuscan kit this morning and I started it a few minutes ago. :db

Good to hear that!

I just got home with a Super Tuscan kit this morning and I started it a few minutes ago. :db

You will love this kit i,m sure.If you don,t please let me know and i will drive to the island and take it off your hands for free! ;)

Dan R

I did a Cellar Craft Showcase Rosso Fortissimo a few months ago.

That kit is the same size, with crushed grapes and similar make up. It will be interesting to see how they compare.:b

I don,t have any experience with the whites but i recently bottled 4 bottles of my Cab Shiraz from the founders series while i moved the remaining 5 gallons to a smaller carboy for bulk aging.

Hi everyone,

New here and kind of just poking around and ...wow, what an interesting idea to just bottle a few and move the remaining to a smaller carboy. I have 2 x 3 gallon carboys and could envision doing it with them perhaps.

I was wondering though if the wine ages better this way and therefore that is the motivation or as a space saver. Also, I suppose one is less likely to drink it all up if it's still in a carboy hidden out of sight.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

Hi everyone,

New here and kind of just poking around and ...wow, what an interesting idea to just bottle a few and move the remaining to a smaller carboy. I have 2 x 3 gallon carboys and could envision doing it with them perhaps.

I was wondering though if the wine ages better this way and therefore that is the motivation or as a space saver. Also, I suppose one is less likely to drink it all up if it's still in a carboy hidden out of sight.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

Well the problem is they are never really hidden you know where they are at :tz Bulk aging is better than bottle aging so isn't really a bad idea.

:D Ha, ha....fun!

But it does age better in bulk, you are saying? More to mingle with itself?

:D Ha, ha....fun!

But it does age better in bulk, you are saying? More to mingle with itself?

I don't think it ages any better in bulk but it will degass itself over 8-12 months if you didn't get all the co2 out and you won't be tempted to drink it if its not in the bottles .Also if you have wine diamonds or more sediment to drop it is nice to have it fall out in the carboy and then when you bottle you have crystal clear wine. That's my theory anyways .

Digger

I don't think it ages any better in bulk but it will degass itself over 8-12 months if you didn't get all the co2 out and you won't be tempted to drink it if its not in the bottles .Also if you have wine diamonds or more sediment to drop it is nice to have it fall out in the carboy and then when you bottle you have crystal clear wine. That's my theory anyways .

Digger

I heard bulk aging does help it to age a bit better as well, the sediment being perhaps the biggest advantage but I've read bulk aging is a little more consistent and also better due to the decreased surface area.

+1 for preventing you from drinking it and actually allowing it to age to its sweet spot, I'm not sure about you guys but I have poor self restraint otherwise

I bottled this 9 month old Cab Shiraz today and enjoyed the half bottle left over with dinner tonight. Wow! This is a very smooth full bodied red with a nice fruit flavour and plenty of tannins.Even my wife likes it and she is not a big red drinker. I,m going to have fun drinking this over the next 2 years!!

Digger

Latest posts

Back