Bottled pear wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jal5

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was started last summer and bulk aged. Today bottled 26 bottles nice and clear. Added some simple syrup that seemed to bring out the flavor. Still a very subtle pear taste and about 12% abv. Not too bad and the pears were free. I have enough frozen pears for a six gallon batch but I will do a pear/apple combo on this next one. I tried pear extract addition to a sample but that was too flowery smelling even after letting it rest.
joe

This was started last summer and bulk aged. Today bottled 26 bottles nice and clear. Added some simple syrup that seemed to bring out the flavor. Still a very subtle pear taste and about 12% abv. Not too bad and the pears were free. I have enough frozen pears for a six gallon batch but I will do a pear/apple combo on this next one. I tried pear extract addition to a sample but that was too flowery smelling even after letting it rest.
joe
Jal5, have you considered Pear fruit puree, 8 oz. for $14.81 from Labelpeelers? I am going to use their purees in all my fruit wines because the purees are so concentrated, and lovely to taste, they cannot but help to enhance some of the subtle fruit flavors of our wines

suggest fermenting the pear and apple separately use bench trial to find blend. if you have, put dust oak in the apple will give you a nice tannin feel but be careful to not over do it.

This pear wine really grows on you. Nice balance and delicate flavor. Great chilled in refrigerator or on some ice. Will make more next Fall. Joe

Great idea. We didn’t care for the lingering flowery scent/taste of the pear extract. Puree seems like a good addition. My next batch will be mainly fruit juice since I have 42# of prepped pears in freezer from last fall. No water. Here is one bottle.
give homewinery a try, they sell 52 different concentrates, as for pear wine my favorite is 40 lbs pear, 20 lbs lodi apples , 20 lbs yellow delicious and 3 lbs sargents yellow crab apples,, cut up frozen and fermented together, only thing that comes close is my blackberry that is as far as community demand goes,
Dawg

thx dawg. I like the pear/apple combo and will definitely try that one. did you dice the pears and apples up or squeeze the juice out of them somehow? Joe

like pear here's my rendisition

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 18
give homewinery a try, they sell 52 different concentrates, as for pear wine my favorite is 40 lbs pear, 20 lbs lodi apples , 20 lbs yellow delicious and 3 lbs sargents yellow crab apples,, cut up frozen and fermented together, only thing that comes close is my blackberry that is as far as community demand goes,
Dawg
ahh, sorry i got it wrong , instead of lodi on this pear-apple-crabapple instead of lodi it is granny smith apples, so it is 3 lb yellow applecrab, 20 lb yellow delicious apples, 20 lbb granny smith, and 40 lb pear,
Dawg

Pretty much what I did on this first batch.
after i chop them up and freeze them.. then i put in the ferment barrel along with apple juice an 3 lbs yellow crab apples, frozen and chopped as others were, then, i stir with a food grade kraft mayonnaise, stirrer , pitch a lot of pectic enzyme about twice what it calls for, yeast energizer as well as yeast nutrient, I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK, ask johnt not jhond,
Dawg

Just a point of interest, crabapple seeds will metabolize forming cyanide. It does take a lot to be harmful but be to error on the safe side and remove before fermentation. There are cases were people have been hospitalized with cyanide poisoning drinking crabapple wine

Just a point of interest, crabapple seeds will metabolize forming cyanide. It does take a lot to be harmful but be to error on the safe side and remove before fermentation. There are cases were people have been hospitalized with cyanide poisoning drinking crabapple wine
yep' first i never use straight crabapple for wine, second i use it in the primary must stage bonly, as tends to get most all the seeds,,s been done for as long as hill people have made wine,not to mention that they are cut up to be frozen, which tends to get rid of seeds from every things, and yep i can walk into the woods and get food, poison, and explosives, the lord has put everything needed in nature,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back