Bottled my first batch..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtydog420

Reaction score
I used a vino del vida by rj spangols. Cabernet syrah. It kinda tasted weird but hoping that cause its very young still. but more imortantly, there is alot of sediment. I know what I did wrond. Moved it around too much when I siphoned for carboy into bottling bucket. Lessons learned for next time.. Cant wait to try a whole bottle.. Hope sediment will settle and not pur out too much when its finally ready to drink...

Thanks for all people who answered questions I had. Cant wait to do next batch and make my first batch from scratch. Will either be pear or rose hip. Which ever ripens first. Will have to get more carboys though cause they will both be fermenting for months...

Well CONGRATS !
Sounds like you did not transfer enough. Tell what you did step by step so we can help you for the next time.

Hi Dirty Dog
I rack many times based on how the wine is clearing mainly because I want to get it off of the nasty lees so it doesn't pick up off odors and taste.

What I have found works for me is to rack as close to the lees as possible then stop. Take the remainder, put it in a clear, covered container (so there is minimal headspace), and let it separate overnight in the fridge (it's called cold stabilization). Then I use a bulb aspirator to remove the good stuff. I save this for topping up later down the road.

I am not sure how proper the technique is, but I always hate throwing out so much of the wine with the lees. I make mainly fruit wine, but I have noticed that the kits are easier to separate from lees - it will typically be more solid sooner and not as easily disturbed.

-Betty

I know what I did wrong. 1.) I moved the carboy with wine still in it, into the kitchen. 2.) I wasnt careful enough when I did rack into bottling container. 3.) I was scared about not being degassed enough and degassed again last night before I went to sleep so that had not settled 4.) Well, I wasn't careful enough...

Like I said, lessons well learned... Not really looking for advice at this point in time cause well, I know what I did wrong.. Not to offend anyone... Just excited that first batch done..

Def know what to do and not to do for next batch.... Just gonna have to filter before I enjoy a bottle of it...

Cheers
Dirty Dog

Always rack off sediment to a clean carboy and then bottle from there giving at least a few days in between for what little was disturbed to settle. never bottle from a vessel that has sediment in it of more then a dusting.

Latest posts

Back