Quantcast

Bottled first batch

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

fermenter

Junior
Reaction score
The first batch of my homegrown Norton wine is in the bottles. Time and shortage of space and equipment doesn't allow me to bulk age very long. The only thing I added to this first try is some sugar to bring up the brix to proper level. Initial taste sampling isn't too bad. 5 Vines, 6 bottles.

G259

Reaction score
I'll assume that you added sorbate first, lol no need for bottle bombs!

heatherd

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
The first batch of my homegrown Norton wine is in the bottles. Time and shortage of space and equipment doesn't allow me to bulk age very long. The only thing I added to this first try is some sugar to bring up the brix to proper level. Initial taste sampling isn't too bad. 5 Vines, 6 bottles.
If you haven't yet, add potassium sorbate. Without it, your wine will likely continue to ferment in the bottles and could blow their corks and make a big mess. Six bottles isn't that many to uncork, add k sorbate, let clear, and then rebottle.

fermenter

Junior
Reaction score
I did add the K-meta, about a month in a larger carboy, so a little bulk age. I didn't see any further fermentation or co2. I guess I could back up and add sorbate if necessary.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
If you fermented to dry, no need for sorbate.

fermenter

Junior
Reaction score
Fairly sure that's where I'm at. Now ready to move on to a batch of beer for the wife. Then another wine kit.