Bottle shock??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelaz

Reaction score
I bottled a few bottles of my Chilean Merlot last week to try out my new all in one. I have been very pleased with the taste of the wine, however, when i opened a 375 bottle the other night the taste was not quite the same as before bottling. At first i thought i opened a wrong bottle. Been reading about bottle shock and hope that is just what it is ...

Has anyone else noticed that with their wine after trying it soon after bottling?

Are you talking another 6 months to a year? Its already just about a year old now.

I do mostly fruit wine, an early drinker in most cases. And yes, let it lie undisturbed for NLT 6 months. I have made quite a bit of apple wine and after sitting in carboy for +/- 6 months and then bottling, let in lie for another 6 or more months. Even Dragon's Blood improves this way.

My reds from grapes spend 2 years bulk and 1 in the bottle, so yes I agree it will improve for the next year or so easy. Bottle shock is a weird thing, but I find the first month or so, particularly if it is filtered, the wine is uneasy.

Latest posts

Back