Bottle Sanitizing/Efficacy of KMS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellar Vader

Reaction score
Well I’ve often wondered if, after having sanitized my bottles with KMS and hung on my bottle tree, whether the residual KMS solution (present only in drops by the time I bottle) can/will raise my SO2 ppm levels by any appreciable amount.
For example, I have tested and adjusted my Free SO2 levels of my wine several days ago and just finished sanitizing my bottles. Should these be allowed to “completely” dry before I bottle? Thoughts?

Is bottling while still wet with K-Meta an issue. I never wait til the bottles are dry before filling.

. if you have sterile water absolutely no difference
. if you have pond water with ducks swimming don’t do it
. if you have city water with chlorine added this is similar to sterile water 99,999 times out of 100,000 times
Yikes! Have I been doing this wrong? I've always rinsed the bottles with bottle washer AFTER sanitizing. What I see here is that the sulphite should be the last thing to touch the inside of bottles before placing on drying tree.

I rinse my recycled bottles with tap/city water, sanitize using the bottle flusher do-hicky, put on the bottle draining/drying tree rack to drain and fill with wine. They are never drained dry before filling. Been doing it this way for years. never had an issue.

As I posted eons ago, according to Tim Vandergrift, within a few seconds of rinsing a bottle with Kmeta, the residual amount of SO2 is negligible. I do exactly what Pete1325 said and also have never had an issue.

"When sulphiting the inside of bottles it isn’t necessary to rinse the sulphite solution away with water. After draining upside down for as little as five seconds the amount of sulphite retained in the bottle will only increase the free sulphite content of the added wine by a little over 1 part per million. You can rinse if you want to, but it won’t make any difference and takes extra time.
People have been successfully using sulphite in winemaking for over 400 years, and with a little attention we can keep our equipment ship-shape and in good condition for years. Article from Tim Vandergrift, Technical Services Manager, Winexpert Ltd "

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back