Bottle Sanitation With Star-San

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsa46

Reaction score
If I sanitize bottles with Star-San and put them in a box for a couple months do I have to sanitize again when I bottle some wine ?

If I sanitize bottles with Star-San and put them in a box for a couple months do I have to sanitize again when I bottle some wine ?
It's kind of like the Alabama-LSU game today. If you're a gambling man and like to fly by the seat of your pants and disregard the odds then bet on LSU for the win (don't re-sanitize). If, on the other hand, you like to bet on a sure thing and have the odds in your favor then bet on Alabama for the win (re-sanitize just before bottling).

What can I say other than... ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! :try:D

Best case scenario would be to store them upside down in an enclosed case. But why risk it? It eliminates a lot of worry and possibly second guessing down the road to sanitize right before bottling.

It's kind of like the Alabama-LSU game today. If you're a gambling man and like to fly by the seat of your pants and disregard the odds then bet on LSU for the win (don't re-sanitize). If, on the other hand, you like to bet on a sure thing and have the odds in your favor then bet on Alabama for the win (re-sanitize just before bottling).

What happened to the "sure thing". Great game but there's no such this as a sure thing other than death and taxes.

Pretty much waited all day to reply to this ridiculous comparison, as I’m not one to gloat unless taunted. But since I was taunted, I couldn’t be any happier that my Tigers smacked that elephant ass in your house. Geaux Tigers!!!!

Cleaning Day = Oxyclean soak and remove labels, rinse, drain, rinse, drain, store

Bottling Day = Sanitize and drain

Got lotsa better things to do than talk smack about sports.....

Well, then go do those other things, then! We will happily hold up the smack-talking parts of the conversation in your absence.

I did not have a dawg in the 'Bama-LSU fight. I don't like 'Bama, but I do have a lot of respect for them (as well as for LSU). It is very difficult to achieve the consistent level of success that Alabama has demonstrated in the last few+ years. My own alma mater has been on the losing end with them a few times recently. I do NOT wish them well, but I DO tip my hat to them.

Well, then go do those other things, then! We will happily hold up the smack-talking parts of the conversation in your absence.

I did not have a dawg in the 'Bama-LSU fight. I don't like 'Bama, but I do have a lot of respect for them (as well as for LSU). It is very difficult to achieve the consistent level of success that Alabama has demonstrated in the last few+ years. My own alma mater has been on the losing end with them a few times recently. I do NOT wish them well, but I DO tip my hat to them.

I did so, as it’s my practice to avoid smack talking. Fact talking is fine, just can’t tolerate all the BS people spew before a game.

Great program for sure at Bama. Nick Saban, like him or not, will go down as one of the greats in history. Hoping that Coach O can set his own similar legacy at LSU, he’s off to a good start!!

I'd certainly sanitize again, but then again my cousin who bottles several hundred bottles a year just takes bottles out of the box right from the factory and doesn't sanitize at all.

I'd certainly sanitize again, but then again my cousin who bottles several hundred bottles a year just takes bottles out of the box right from the factory and doesn't sanitize at all.

I think that's what the commercial guys do too. In some cases, I think they may get some pressurized air on the bottling line to get dust out, but that's it.

I did so, as it’s my practice to avoid smack talking. Fact talking is fine, just can’t tolerate all the BS people spew before a game.

Great program for sure at Bama. Nick Saban, like him or not, will go down as one of the greats in history. Hoping that Coach O can set his own similar legacy at LSU, he’s off to a good start!!

Just be glad you aren’t a Penn State guy. Coach SHOULD HAVE gone down as one of the greats. But is not the case. Was difficult to watch all that unfold.

Guy's, football is just a game. Sadly it has gotten to be a very $$$ one. Up until probably fifteen years ago I didn't give a hoot about football of any kind. I'd watch a few important games (Iron Bowl, championships, etc) through the years, but did not follow it all season long. Then at the start of one particular season Dennis, one of my best friends, kept aggravating the rip out of me to sign up online and play "College Pick'em" with him and a small group other friends. He was a staunch Alabama fan but pulled for LSU and the Saints, too...naturally for Alabama when they played LSU, though. I even have a recording somewhere of him explaining *why* he wore an LSU jersey to an LSU game with a friend of his (it was the requirement for his friend to carry him with him)...hilarious. But, I had no idea about the teams, players, or coaches, but I started playing Pick'em. Everyone of the folks playing knew more about the game than me so I just cut up with them and acted like I knew what I was doing...giving some colorful reasons why I made my picks as I did...the reasons bordering on "is he off his meds?" area. I definitely got smack talk back from them, too. It was all good-natured. They were a bunch of great people, give you the shirt off their backs and then some. We had a blast. I won that years Pick'em. Really aggravated some folks.<grin> I won again the next year, too. Something about a blind hog. I didn't win anymore, but had a great time for a few more years.

I got a call from Dennis' wife (she the local ER supervisor) while I was heading home from Montgomery. She wanted me at the hospital quick, it was Dennis. I kept driving. Phone rang a few minutes later and it was one of the nurses. Dennis didn't make it. Heart-attack. By the time I got there all I could do was sit with him till the undertaker came to pick him up. His son was the admin for the College Pick'em game and we played one more year...but, it was different, it was subdued, really not much fun. The Pick'em group fell apart and it is no more.

But, my buddy did get my interest regarding college football going, but I still care nothing about pro ball. Coming up in highschool there were three of us that kind of ran together...I watch ballgames on Saturday with my other buddy. But, with the rapid commercialization of college ball my interest is beginning to wane. The money involved and the reasons behind playing ball have dramatically changed through the years, especially over the last decade. In the past the broadcasters would flip up pictures of players, what they were majoring in, how their grades were, the social projects that they were involved in, etc.,. You seldom see that now. The kids who are there for an actual education and career via a scholarship you don't hear much about...it's the star players that the broadcasters are already throwing guesses out on when they'll be quitting college and entering the draft that you hear about. It's all about $$$ these days...it appears.

And John, I'd love to spew some BS at my old buddy. He enjoyed it, we all did. If you like it, cool. If you don't like, that's cool, too. I don't get personal, ugly, vulgar, or anything...just friendly ribbing. When the game's over, win or lose, I go on to other things. Like I said, it's just a game, but for some I will agree that they take it too far.

Btw, @fsa46 , did you get a good enough answer on your sanitizing question?
Best wishes.
Ed

Latest posts

Back