Bottle Numbering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I numbered the first two batches I made, then lost interest. At the time I simply wrote the number on the cork with a sharpie. Now that I rack just prior to bottling I think any bottle to bottle variability is mitigated. In retrospect, there wasn't much variability when I did number. In my opinion the month to month change that occurs for a given batch makes bottle to bottle numbering unnecessary.

BC

I've been labeling with both front and back labels. The front typical wine labels, but for the back I use a mailing label (avery 8160) - and create a QR-code that can be scanned by a smart phone to include tons of information related to my wines(serial# etc) - each batch is coded with information I keep in an Excel file/database. I print minimum visual information - like the date bottled, the batch number, name of wine - and a serial number that avery generates with their online software.

Claire

I've been labeling with both front and back labels. The front typical wine labels, but for the back I use a mailing label (avery 8160) - and create a QR-code that can be scanned by a smart phone to include tons of information related to my wines(serial# etc) - each batch is coded with information I keep in an Excel file/database. I print minimum visual information - like the date bottled, the batch number, name of wine - and a serial number that avery generates with their online software.

Claire
I actually was thinking of doing the same. Im impress you were doing this back in 2014.

I don't number the bottles from each batch but do number the bottles. After corking I put a number on the cork, then place them in the rack. I keep a ledger close with the name and year with that cork number. so when friends/neighbors/my girls raid my cellar they know which wines to take, cross referenced to the ledger. Not sure why you would number the bottle from each batch? I'am assuming you bottle from the same carboy, is the wine better on the bottom/top of the carboy??

Nope, I don't number the bottles.

I label all bottles, using Avery labels printed on a color laser printer. Makes a really nice presentation.

I need a similar tag but for my glass carboys, where did you get those and will they fit carboys?
I print tags on an inkjet and use clear tape to attach cotton string long enough to comfortably fit over the carboy neck, or that of other sizes. Especially when I have several wines in production (which is most of the time), it ensures my memory is correct.

For the tags, I print the wine name/variety several times in large print in plain paper, then cut them apart. I tend to produce more than I need as some will get damaged, early on I'll have numerous overflow containers, etc. When a wine is bottled I pull the string out of the tape for the next usage.

Given my handwriting, it helps ensure that I know what is in the carboy ......

I put foil tops on everything. Color coded and dated with a sharpie. I write on each, what's in the bottle. I put a couple of the hang tags in each section of the racks where they are stored.

Foil color is reused about every 3 years so that the color is several feet or racks apart. All are dated on the top.

Latest posts

Back